_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
PT models?
JimF51
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:39 PM UTC
I should have asked this 1st. What PT boat models are out there?

I know of the Revell 1/72 PT-109, the Italiari 1/35 PT 596, the Lindburg 109, the 33" Dumas and the 48" one (not available) and the Mosquito Hobbies models (his 80' Elco isn't available yet, either.

Am I missing any? I'd prefer to have one I can RC outfit, but do want a well detailed model.

Thanks.

Jim Flynn
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 04:04 AM UTC
Ahoy Jim!

There are a good bit of PT-boat subjects out there, mate, from small to large, plastic, resin, and even wood! I would have to say that for an RC conversion though, with good detail, I would go with Italeri Models new 1/72 Elco...the hull should be large enough for all of the necessary propulsion and steering specialties that you would be installing, and making the boat seaworthy wouldn't be much of a problem...and the detail OOB is good, and there are aftermarket upgrades out now from White Ensign Models, as well as Eduard Model Accessories that will improve details (as well as scratch-build options with ease at this large scale)
If you do give it a go, keep us updated!
Cheers,
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
If I remember correctly, the Lindberg version was built with the intent to R/C it. The detail you get with the Italerie 35th scale kit is fantastic, but personaly I would never want to put it where it could easily get battered and brusied. I would check out R/C sites before I made any decision on whcih way to go. There are some kitsout there that are specifically made to withstand the stresses of that kind of play and I don't know how well a kit with the intent to be static would hold up to them.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
Jimf51,

I would have to agree with blaster. Try some RC sites for good options. I wouldn't think an RC model would have a whole lot of detail because it would get bounced around a bit just by normal wear and tear.
 _GOTOTOP