I had once build the trumpeter kit. i think it was released in 1999 or 2000. Got it coz its cheaper than tamiya.
this is the kit in question :-
there are some issue that i can recall
1. they're exact copy of tamiya. The sprue/parts and numbering is the same for both. Once i even I email tamiya and ask for their instruction sheet. they send the sheet to me. Comparing both, they're the same with the exeption in the trumpeter sheet, they add 2 pages for the motorization stuff. they also remove the tamiya color code page. the rest are all the same
2. the smaller pieces didnt respond well to the plastic cement. you may have to clean it properly. I think the release agent used those day is strong or the kit was not properly cleaned.
3. The plastic is soft n need a very delicate hands to handle. (typical old trumpy kit)
4. they're many sink marks especially in the small parts. The radar mast also suffer many deep sink marks.
5. fitting is a headache especially for the island structure assembly. The main hull consist of two big part. with screws and metal parts.
6. the propeller rod and setup was entirely wrong!!! even the propeller is also wrong shape.
7. The flight deck consist of 3 big parts and are not properly level. I have to make major surgery here, ended up i throw away this kit in the shelve of shame and later was donated to a friend.
some of my progress photos (before i threw it away
well, that some of the point that i could recalled. Maybe my skill is not good enough to handle this kit, but this kit surely will be as good as tamiya kit if fall into the right person (which is not me)..