30th August update
Hi folks! Well this is the last set of components needing building/prepping for paint.
I bought the Northstar paravane set to replace the WEM set, because, as mentioned earlier, the WEM only provides enough for 4 paravanes, yet the Prinz had 8.
These really tested my limits in terms of PE construction, and, lets just say, that one shouldn't look too closely
Here you can see a paravane, together with the rack provided in the WEM set. The WEM set provides hoops to locate the paravanes, problem is, the paravanes don't fit. So they were promptly cut off!
I used the Northstar supports and glued them to the WEM racks, then after lots of colourful langauge managed to mount the paravanes
and prepped for attachedment to the forward part of the shelter deck
next up I prepped the props!
The standard kit part looks pretty clunky
so I took to it with a file and some sand paper-better methinks
Onto the masts. Now, I usually replace the kit masts with brass replacements, and the Prinz is no different.
Dave Foster (Rolltide31) was kind enough to send me a complete set of Master Models tapered masts and yard arms! Thanks Dave!
You can find his online store here
You can see the main mast here and its original kit part. The lower portion of the mast was turned up on a lathe and the upper portion is from the Master Model tapered mast set. The two parts are soldered together.
Other parts, like the flagstaff
and last, but not least the mast platforms folded up and brass rods added for extra strength and 3d effect
Well, that's all for now, it's off to the paint shop with this stuff. Hope to have something more to show next week.
Thanks for looking