Some progress at last - finished re-building the parts that I had to tear apart (degaussing cables) and got a little bit of progress
First thing to do however was to get the wooden deck down on the 'inside' areas on the forecastle deck.
Fit was quite good, even though there are lots of modifications from the Lion Roar PE. And then - the areas that don't fit will be entirely out of sight later on!
I have to say, I'm extremely happy with the way the wood deck covers my little operation to the deck on the starboard side next to the Admiral's cabin.
Old pics of the cut plastic:
Covered with wood:
The degaussing back on, went one without much hassle.
Next step I am not entirely satisfied with, but it'll have to do: while sanding the hull, I removed all the eyelids of the portholes. Now I got some North Star portholes, cut them in half and glued them on as eyelids on the hull.
However, they are really thin, so thin that in some places the glue (even though I tried to be REALLY careful with applying glue) is more prominent than the PE part...still looks good on the pictures here, but under a coat of surfacer it become prominent on some of the portholes...
One final coat of surfacer
and then it's time for the boot topping. I'm doing that the other way round as most of you here, to me this way is easier: I spray a broad black line all around the hull
and then add my 'yellow boot topping', which is 6 mm Tamyia masking tape. 6 mm equals 2.10 m in 1/350 scale, and 2 m is about a standard width for those boot toppings on big ships. It was for German ships anyway, and I reckon from pictures that the major RN vessels are not too far away from that.
By doing it this way, I get a perfectly even boot topping, and I can correct the masking tape easily until I am satisfied before I go on painting.
Last thing I got accomplished was the dark red hull, with no further masking.
Probably have to fix some smaller inaccuracies - that was quite a huge area to spray and I got a little out of training in working with surfaces big as this - but it looks good for the most part.
Next then will be masking the lower hull, with the masking tape just on top of the 6 mm 'line' of tape, so really not much to worry about straight or even masking. Then the upper hull will be sprayed in RN 507B (or Tamyia XF 66).
So much for today (actually Sunday, but did not find the time to post), thank you very much for looking and the next update should be up in a week!