And finally - it's time for the first 'real' update.
I'll keep the first part short, as I have already posted it over in the Bismarck Campaign.
So the molded on degaussing cable was removed, and along with it - not intentionally - all the details on the portholes. Oh well, need to come up with something there.
Hull halves joined
and while the fitting is quite good, it leaves me with a lot of work to do in filling and sanding...
So Mr Surfacer 500 was brushed on along the full length of the joint and sanded down. Than the procedure was repeated, sanded this morning - fine weather, so could do it on the balcony. Much more fun - no artificial light, and no worrying about the dust
So here the results after the second sanding procedure. Better, looking ok in some areas already, but a third round required.
So the third round is already brushed on, this time - encouraging - with a smaller brush, so applying it more precisely to areas of concern. I hope I will be done with this third round. If so, Mr Surfacer 1000 will be applied by airbrush and the fine sanding paper will have to take care of the somewhat rough impression caused by the rough treatment.
No work possible on the hull while it is drying. But some more destructive work done: Molded anchor chains removed and opened hawsepipes on the deck.
Now looking at the colors. Main color needed will be medium grey 507B. All the other colors required I will use for my stock.
Si sprayed his Repulse with Tamiya TS 66 as a good match, assuming it would equal Tamiya XF 75. XF 75 is (probably one of the few grays) I don't have, so I started comparing.
Here's the grey my paint locker holds, less the blue/green/something-grays that were clearly wrong.
So the second line can be excluded without further consideration
painting small stripes of five candidates on the invisible part of one deck
Rough comparison narrows it down to two:
So either XF 53 or XF 66.
Natural light, slightly cloudy, no bright sunlight
Now that pretty clearly makes it XF 66, and it is really a good fit, so that I don't even have to start mixing. Question here -are possibly the TS and XF numbers indicating the same colors after all?!?
But that's a quick and easy fix - main color sorted out.
Going through the instructions, it appears that the ship more or less is build up from the hull, only very few parts are clear cut sub assembly. Ok, that may become interesting...
So since I didn't feel like funnel or small boat today, I decided to start with one of the four impressive mountings that hold about the most complex and dangerous weapon system on the ship: right, I am talking about the Vicker .50 cal quadruple mounts, of course
(way to early on to start with the main 15"...
Even though there are parts provided in the Lion Roar and the Eduard set, I decided to try my hands on the BigBlueBoy kit that I got last year. The ones from the same manufacturer for the octuple pom-poms really turned to great (as you may remember from the Belfast build), so I thought these might be good as well - and I think they really are!!
If you're good at your origami, this is the prefect kit for you. That little piece here needs to be folded until it resembles a gun mount...
Put on the bottom plate and the sights added, this is what you get:
As always with a first, I made a few mistakes - glued the origami work together before putting it on the plate, so it is not really straight. Maybe it doesn't need to be glued at all, that would be a try for the next one. The origami plate even folds together in a way that little holes for the barrels are generated. Cool!
I'll see if I can use this one, it doesn't look to bad. But I'll have to order another set anyway. Four in one set, chances I lose one...and I think they will come in handy for other future projects...
Barrels added - can't help, here's a little show - I kind of like the small golden thing
Hold by my tweezers
And standing on a sheet of paper
For comparison - I always suspected that dimes are huge - they are making your purse so heavy...
All right, that's what I got accomplished this weekend. I am not sure whether I will find some time during the week, but that's more unlikely - so the next update here probably in a week from now.
Thanks for looking everybody!