About 6 months ago I was perusing Craigslist when I came across an offer for the Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri (1945) for a very good price ($40). I quickly contacted the seller and the next day retrieved her.
Looking at the kit I realized that while it was a fantastic kit when it came out it now lacked a lot of the details I am used to. Huge amounts of flat, featureless plastic. So I resolved to correct this.
I have slowly been gathering the necessary aftermarket bits I wanted to incorporate. I bought not 1, not 2 but 3 different sets of PE for her. There is a fair amount of redundancy between sets but that just means I can makes some mistakes and not have it be the end of the world.
I have turned brass barrels for the 16" and 5" guns and I also got some 3D printed replacements for the 5" turrets as well as the Mk 37 and Mk38 Directors.
Only thing I am undecided on is the deck. I am going to try paint a realistic look deck before I hand over another $40 for a wooden aftermarket.
All the bits and pieces.
3D printed parts. I am very happy with the directors but will wait to judge the 5" turrets until I have some primer on them to see all the details.
The one good thing about the 5" turrets is that they already have holes for the barrels and they fit perfectly, as least when dry fitted.
I am really looking forward to getting stuck in to this kit. Definitely going to take some of my attention from the HMS Roberts.
Speaking of the Roberts here is a size comparison.
And just to compare the size of the Missouri against other ships here she is compared to my USS Fletcher and my HMS Warspite. Just a wee size difference. She really is a massive ship in real life.