_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Advance News, Admiralty Modelworks
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:10 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates!

Here's the latest advance announcement of some very interesting and unique new resin kits coming our way from Admiralty Modelworks!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:30 PM UTC
Man, a 1/700 Sopwith. That's tiny.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I agree. Having just received the 1/700 HMS Liverpool (with PE) I'm a bit baffled by the scale. It really is a tiny model. I thought 1/600 Airfix was small but 1/700?

Though the detail is superb, why so small a scale?

I admit this is my first venture into anthing smaller than 1/72 for about 35 years but... The HMS Liverpool, whilst exquisite, is really... Well, tiny!

I'd like to say "why bother? but.. I'll leave judgement till I've built it.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, I agree. Having just received the 1/700 HMS Liverpool (with PE) I'm a bit baffled by the scale. It really is a tiny model. I thought 1/600 Airfix was small but 1/700?

I admit this is my first venture into anthing smaller than 1/72 for about 35 years but... The HMS Liverpool, whilst exquisite, is really... Well, tiny!

Believe it or not, mate. 1/700 is one of the most popular of all scale of ship modeling (just look at the kits that are available )...The level of detail is very good at this scale, and if you are a modeler who has to fight space requirements for display, well, 1/700 is for you, as some of the larger scales (how grande they are, though) take up an enormous amount of shelf space...after you build a few, the scale really does grow on you!
Cheers,
~Gunny
RKernaghan
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Believe it or not, mate. 1/700 is one of the most popular of all scale of ship modeling (just look at the kits that are available )...The level of detail is very good at this scale, and if you are a modeler who has to fight space requirements for display, well, 1/700 is for you, as some of the larger scales (how grande they are, though) take up an enormous amount of shelf space...after you build a few, the scale really does grow on you!
Cheers,
~Gunny

I can only speak for myself about 1/700. I chose the scale due to space. I have a fleet of around 150 1/700 ships. Even in that scale some of them are pretty big.

The largest ship in my fleet is a G3-class at over a foot long, the smallest a Vosper MTB at less than an inch long.

All the ame you can get as much detail into 1/700 as you can in 1/350. All my ships are rigged, some have internal detail on the bridge, even the biplanes can be rigged quite easily in 1/700.

I also scratch build in 1/700.

Why bother? Well why not? It's a challenge.

Cheers,

Rob
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:57 AM UTC
I second what Rob says, basically I enjoy the challenge of building in such a small scale. Perhaps the problem you perceive in a 1:700 ship being 'tiny' is only with reference to the ever increasing size and scale of models in other genres, 1:48 is now pretty much standard for aircraft over 1:72, and armour modellers refer to 1:72 as 'braille scale', quite amusing for ship modellers that one.

I hope you enjoy building Liverpool, perhaps through building the model you will start to see why ship modelling is so addictive. If you have any questions then ask away, if you haven't built a ship for a while then the best bit of advice I can give you is to plan ahead!

Mike
 _GOTOTOP