_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
ROG'S 1/72 Vosper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Frank (Wildspear) gives us his views on the Revell of Germany's British Vosper kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks Frank!
~Gunny
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the review wildspear.

I am sure it is just the first of many to come, keep them comming.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Frank. This is one of those kits that suffer from lack of a review. After your review, it looks to be a good buy.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Frank, I've looked at this before but been put off by the box art. Looks like I need to revisit it.

Ciao
Luciano
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:48 PM UTC
Keep in mind that this kit was originally released as "McHale's Navy PT 73" back in the 1960s. Considering its age, the kit is not too far off from the original boat, although the hull is the wrong shape, the deck doesn't fit well, and the claim that it represents an RN boat is bogus.

I can upload plans of the boat as she should appear if anyone plans on building one.

Al Ross
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
Al,

I would be interested in those plans. I remember you saying the back of the hull (sorry I'm bad at the ship terminology) was wrong? Do the plans show the correct way the hull should be? I was thinking of ordering the plans but I want to depict the "Vospers" made in America were the hulls the same as the British Vospers?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Ah, a blast from the past. I'd wondered if ROG had done anything to the old PT-73/Vospers kits I remember as a kid. Doesn't really sound like it, although it's still the only game in town. It's sad that the guns and torpedoes, that are really the first thing many people look at, are so badly done. Oh well that just leaves room for the AM folks.

Good review of an old classic Frank.

alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to depict the "Vospers" made in America were the hulls the same as the British Vospers?

Similar, but different. Essentially, there were two VOSPER designs license-built in the US. The initial batch was the standard 70'/72'6" design (like my set for MTB 234) which was used by the RN. The second batch was the heavily-modified design used only by the Soviets and the subject of the kit.

John redrew the originals I sent him for Vol 2 of ACF and I've uploaded those to www.coastalforcesplans.com/id21.html. If they're not clear enough, I can email them to you directly.

Al
 _GOTOTOP