_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Painting propellers and vallejo paint
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
I painted my last model's propeller with Tamiya's gold leaf paint. You can see the (weathered by me and by dust later on) propeller here:

Now I also have some odd Vallejo acrylic "Brass" paint. I say odd because it looks more like a paste than the paint I'm used to. Picture here:

Is this normal or did the paint go bad (note, on the SQUEEZE bottle it says shake well only that would not help at all given its current form)?

Anyway, I decided to mix some of that paste with some Tamiya thinner and throw it in my paint shaker. I then painted a propeller with it. Is it just me or does this look too sparkly?

Looking at other submarine propellers most of them have a dull, flat color.

U505's aren't even close to mine...

How should I weather this guy? Or should I repaint it with something else? I weathered the old one with a toothpick and toothpaste I think, but I am not too thrilled with the results.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
madwolf,

It's a little sparkly but after you dull it down and weather it it should look fine.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Ion,

I use Vallejo paint also. You should only thin it with distilled water. As far as the color goes, I would try to dullcoat it to tone it down. The props you show are oxidized from sitting above water for a very long time. I would search for a photo of a ship in for repairs.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi Ion

In some cases, Vallejo paints need to be thinned down with water, as previously as been said. Unless you're drybrushing, you should do that. As for the colour issue, you can always add some grey, in order to tone it down a bit - and in the end airbrush a flat coat
Hope this helps,
Skipper
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips, fellas!

The paint is sparkly because it has flakes (like some metallizer paints) in it, not because it's glossy. We'll see how these look after some dull cote and weathering!
 _GOTOTOP