_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
TV Alert - Intrepid: On the Move
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:41 PM UTC
Tonight (Thurs, July 5) at 11PM and 3AM (EDT/PDT) the History Channel will show their documentary concerning the moving and drydocking of the Intrepid this past year as part of their new season of the series Mega Movers:

Follow the massive move of the USS Intrepid from its New York City pier to Bayonne, New Jersey. This legendary carrier helped to destroy Japan's Imperial Navy and survived five kamikaze attacks. A New York real estate developer opened it as a museum in 1982. Watch as it gets stuck in the mud when attempts are made to move it for much needed repairs, then ultimately freed by Navy divers.

"Check your local listings" - but thats the time their website shows.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:50 PM UTC
I'm watching it as I write. Unfortunately I missed the first half. I'm sure they'll show it again.

I had to laugh when they mentioned the Army Corps of Engineers was "happy" to help dig a channel to get her unstuck from the mud. The Army brass must have been salivating at the chance to thumb their nose at the Navy,
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hey all,

I watched it and it was really a great show. Thank goodness for the ARMY( I geuss it takes some ground pounders to help the navy....."Halfyank"....LOL). They had some really good info on the ship. Did you see the price they wanted for the DVD of the program????@% bucks....thats crazy.
 _GOTOTOP