_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
American Vosper
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be aware that the Revell Vosper kit represents a boat that never served the RN--it's an American license-built Vosper that was supplied to the Soviet Navy.

Thanks John! You just saved me some money there!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey all,

Just got my order from "Great Little Ships". I ordered torpedo tubes, depth charges, and some chemical smokes. The only thing that was unexpected was the smokes. I bought them sight unseen so its on me. the smoke holder on the vosper has a holder on the stern of the boat but the smoke I bought are the float smoke pots. I will just leave the holders off the boat and I will incorperate the floats into my build. I will provide pics later today.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hey all,

Here are some pics of the resin parts I got from "Great Little Ships";

Depth charges

Torpedo tubes

smoke floats
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hey all,

I have a problem with my smoke. The holders that came molded on the boat are a bit sad. I ordered some smoke from "Great Little Ships" but I don't think it will work with the holders. Think it would look okay to add some of the smoke to the deck and just leave the holders off the stern of the boat?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,

I have a problem with my smoke. The holders that came molded on the boat are a bit sad. I ordered some smoke from "Great Little Ships" but I don't think it will work with the holders. Think it would look okay to add some of the smoke to the deck and just leave the holders off the stern of the boat?

Hey Frank...
Those are some nice looking upgrade sets, mate...about the holders...what part doesn't work? Can you show us with some pics?

If I were you, I wouldn't leave them off, my friend, but try to modify the existing or even remove the existing and scratch build your own holders...without them, probably noticeable...
As always, just my two pence worth..........
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
Frank,
What yard(s) built these boats?
I was thinking that if they had experience of building any other type of MTB or PT type boat, they might have used equipment that was familiar to them from other builds.
If you could find pics of another type of boat built by them you could compare smoke making equipment and hope for the best.
As for should you use the AM smoke gear...It's your build my friend, but I think they look very good.
TTFN
Tom
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 09:10 AM UTC
Gunny,

The plastic part infront of the 3 smoke pots is what was on the boat. I cut if off the stern so I could do some repair work. I don't know how I could make this part work as I have been unable to find a picture of the actual holder. Maybe enlarge the hole on the part, fit in the valve of the smoke pot so the pot is horizontal?
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2007 - 06:39 PM UTC
I have one of the torpedo tubes finished and ready for primer. The top is the torpedo tube that came with the kit and the bottom is the torpedo tube doctored with parts from "Great Little Ships".

Makes quite a bit of improvement for my American Vosper.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
Tom,

I'm sorry but I forgot to answer your question. The boats were built in Annapolis Yacht Yard Inc. (Annapolis, Maryland, U.S.A.) . I'm building my boat as the U.S. PT boat 687 which was sent to the Soviet Union as TK 259.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC

Hi Frank,

I've been following your progress, it's coming along nicely.
I've got this kit and was about to start it.
Do you know what the colour scheme was like when the Vospers were used by the Russians? or didn't it change.

All the best

Vic
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:47 AM UTC
Vic,

I haven't seen a picture of an American Vosper so many things I do have no solid basis. The weapons I assume would be American since it was made in American. The paint scheme.....I was thinking of basing it off the PT boats. Since it was made in America I would assume that they would paint like the PT boats. That’s my thought process but I'm willing to listen to others on what they think on this subject.
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:39 AM UTC
Frank,

The tubes as converted are suitable for an RN Vosper, but not one of the Soviet Vospers. The latter used the MK19 Higgins-produced tube, which is what the kit part represents. The MK19 used compressed air to fire its torpedo and the long tube running on top of the kit tube is the compressed cylinder. The standard MK18 tube used on the ELCOs used a black powder impulse charge to fire the torpedoes, as did the 21" RN tube. That small cylinder on your converted tube is the impulse charge chamber.

Al Ross
 _GOTOTOP