_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Battleship Oriol, Zvezda Models
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
Frank (wildspear) gives us his views on his SOTQ #1 prize kit, Zvezda Models, Battleship Oriol, 1/350 scale, in this MSW inbox review!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC
Yes, this is a nice kit.
BTW, BMK, produces some very nice turned brass barrels for the kit.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
That is a nice kit. Thanks for the review Frank.
stonehart
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 06:35 PM UTC
I have just recived this kit so I will let you know how I get on. On opening the box it looks very well made but as has been the said the flags let it down. However as far as I can see that is a small point on what should be a great project and a fine looking model wen finished.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just recived this kit so I will let you know how I get on. On opening the box it looks very well made but as has been the said the flags let it down. However as far as I can see that is a small point on what should be a great project and a fine looking model wen finished.

Hi David, Welcome to Modelshipwrights, mate!

The Zvezda Borodino is a good kit, indeed, and yes the flag sheet is a bit crude, I do agree that this is but a small, and easy fix...she will build up into a fine looking showpiece, for sure...you can have your very own "Build Log" here at MSW and post your progress and photos "Blog Style" if you wish, just by checking the appropriate box when you are starting a new topic...

Either way, have fun with your build, and do please keep us posted of your progress!

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:15 PM UTC
nice review! and useful... I have that one in my stash, SprueBrothers.com had in on their naval bargain bin for 20$.... And very nice build too... will refer to your review and build many times when I get to build mine and only hope comes out a quarter as good as yours! Cheers, Jim
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC
I havent held the actual flags in my hand yt ,so I dont know just how bad they really are ,but I know when I opened Revells 1:72 U-boat I immediately thought "trashem..." but I kept them anyway. Near the end of the build I was looking at having a flag hanging limp from the pole ,so I thought ,"nothing ventured..." soaked the bejimineys out of it in a mix of glue and water,added a thread to hang it from ....folded it.like an accordion without the creases..manipulated it and it looks GREAT...
I added oil paint shadows and highlights to the folds and I must say it looks smart..
I said it before and Ill say it again...many thanks for your help and the build is awesome youre doing
 _GOTOTOP