_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Battleship Oriol
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hey all,

I read that the battleship "Borodino" left the frames(right word?) for there portholes as polished brass. Would this be the same for the sister ship Oriol?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,

I read that the battleship "Borodino" left the frames(right word?) for there portholes as polished brass. Would this be the same for the sister ship Oriol?

Ahoy Frank!

Unfortunately mate, i haven't anything in my library that will help us here (yet! )...although, here is a very good website with both printed and electronic versions of books that I do believe should be of service...

HERE!

You may want to get ahold of one of our mates across the pond, (Peter Fulgoney, Rob Kernaghan, or Mike McCabe) as these blokes work with these old girls on occasion...

Good luck, mate...I will be doing the same research as well, very soon, as the "Borodino" from Zvezda has docked port side to my workbench...
Cheers,
~Gunny

PS...Everything you ever wanted to know about portholes...but were afraid to ask!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,

Based on the photos on this website, I'd say no, if you are building her at the time of Tsushima. I've got the same model started, and I don't plan on doing the portholes brass.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
Great site, Martin, thanks mate!
~Mark
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

I checked my references and could not find anything as to the portholes being polished brass.

I too am working on the Borodino, although very..........slowly.
 _GOTOTOP