_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Need help with paint
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 05:41 AM UTC
I purchased a "cheap" paint set a while back to paint my models and I am finding that there is a reason that it is "cheap". On a 1:700 scale model it does not seem to cover very well, its really runny and leaves bad splotches instead of a nice clean even coat. I was wondering what paints you all used for 1:700 stuff. I have an assortment of very good fine brushes and now need a paint that will do a good job.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Well my friend, just as there is an assortment of models, there is also an assortment of paint manufacturers!

It all depends on what you're looking for...I have great luck with Model Masters brand acrylics, they are readily available in the U.S., are inexpensive, and spray as well as brush quite easily...they also make many colors available in "rattle cans" to spray onto your model, if you have no airbrush...one of THE best paints available are White Ensign Models Colourcoats enamels, by far, though...
~Gunny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Luke,

I have switched over to all acrylics because of the fumes with enamels and the clean up is easier with the water based paints. I use model masters paints.
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC
Is that Testors?
The "Cheap" paints I bought were Testor, but it was the "acrylic multi pack" they have. Do they sell those model master at like Hobby Lobby?
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi Luke,

I like to use TESTOR’S MODEL MASTER MARINE ACRYLICS. I understand they have been discontinued, but they are still available at my LHS.
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
I believe I looked for those last time I was at the hobby shop and Hobby Lobby and they did not have those. I will go this weekend and see what other Model Master Acrylics they have.
Thanks
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
and another tip:
before priming or painting the model, wash it with water with a few drops (1 or 2) of dish washer... let it dry and then paint.
You could have a model with a lot of release agent

Give another try, sparying the model with oven cleaner and after a couple of hours wash it as described above, prime and paint it

Good luck
Skipper
 _GOTOTOP