_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Prairie/Masker Air System
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC
Since I had brought this up in a recent review I thought it might be nice to add some technical data about eh Masker Air system. The system actually has two different parts and is normally called the Prairie/Masker Air system. The purpose of the system is to make the surface ship harder to hear by the submarine. In the ASW world the sub has the advantage of being underwater and can hear better than the surface ship. So, the idea goes, if you can silence, or disguise the surface ship the playing field might be a little more even.

Here is, in simple terms, how the system works. The ship uses a gas turbine engine for propulsion. A gas turbine is basically a jet engine that is inside a box. Gas turbines create great amounts of hot air under pressure. This air is used for several things, cooling the engine itself, high pressure bleed air, Prairie/Masker air, and finally for driving the power turbine. I can run down the operation of a gas turbine at little later. So the turbine makes the air and it is piped away for its different uses.

The Prairie/Masker is used in two different locations. First off the Prairie air is used in the propeller, called a screw in the Navy. Simple enough to remember, both start with a P. When the screw cuts through the water is can make a hole or cut. The resulting cut will then slam back full of water causing a loud noise, this is called cavitation. So to stop this from happening air is fed down the center of the propeller shaft to the propeller hub. From there it is fed through small holes in the edges of the propeller blades and fills the hole. So instead of the water crashing back together it slowly pushes the air out of the pocket and makes less noise.

Masker are is used to reduce the amount of machinery from being transmitted through the hull. The air is fed into a series of belts that run under the ship. This are creates a blanket of bubbles around the middle section of the ship. Sounds from the machinery has a harder time traveling through the air, into the ships hull, into air, and then into the water.

When these two systems are running in conjunction with one another it makes the ship sound like a rain storm. Since the submarine wouldn't know the weather top side they might ignore the rain storm and look for a mechanical sound. This can give the destroyer time to hear the sub and send it helo to make a kill. Or give them time to fire off one of there own torpedoes against the sub.

On the picture you can see a difference in the wake of the two ships. The Spruance class destroyer has the lighter colored wake. The supply ship does not. The destroyer is running its Prairie/Masker system. Like I said this is the bare bones simple explanation of these systems, but I hope it helped out some.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC
That's very cool. Thanks for the peek behind the scenes Jim.

Kenny
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thanks for explaining that Jim - very interesting.

Andy
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:57 AM UTC
Well Thats good to know ... Thanks Jim... You learn something new everyday.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:45 AM UTC
Thanks Jim
This is a very important issue when portraying one ship of the class - it makes a lot of "noise" even at lower speeds!
Thanks!

Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:39 AM UTC
Glad you guys liked that. I could have put up a bunch more information about the systems, but it was way too technical and some times Navy speak can make people scratch thier heads.

Well, time for some midrats, my wife made sliders, hamsters, and a fresh jug of bug juice. Hope I get get some sleep before the balls to 4, maybe I can get sleepers after sweepers in the morning.

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the explanation. I've heard of it in Tom Clancy novels but always wondered how it works.
 _GOTOTOP