_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
New Fleet Oilers from Fujimi
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Fujimi Models is here with an announcement for all of those fans of the Japanese Navy, two new 1/700 fleet oilers for your World War II Japanese combatants.

Check it out. Maybe one of them could pop up in the Forgotten Sisters campaign.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gator
RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hmm... "fleet oilers" Does anybody know anything about these beasties?

I don't think the Japanese did underway replenishment like USN did, did they? Not alongside, anyway?

I'd expect that replenishment was done at anchorage for the Japanese in WWII.

Underway, the least-dangerous method nowadays is the NATO astern refuling method, where the tanker streams the hose attached to a float, and the customer picks it up and takes a drink. I guess we'll be able to see if they did that by the location of hose reels on these kits.

Does anybody know how these ships were used? First Skywave makes a few Japanese tankers, and now Fujimi. Sure wish they'd make some US WWII tankers in 1/700.

Rick
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think the Japanese did underway replenishment like USN did, did they? Not alongside, anyway?

Rick, the Japanese did do underway replenishment. In a book I just finished on Midway, it mentions unrep for the Japanese. IIRC they also used it in route to Pearl Harbor and the book I'm reading on Marianas Turkey Shoot talks of Japanese refueling at sea.

edit: If you go to CombinedFleet.com (?), you can read the tabular movements of these ships.

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
I think the Japaneese did do UNREPs similar to the USN. It is not something that ship captains like to do. Can you imagine being on an oiler when the Yamato pulls up along side for a top off?

It was bad enough for us when we did it. USS America always took teh port side while we were on the starboard of the oiler.

bobcicconi
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Model Shipwrights: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
I'm in for one of each!
 _GOTOTOP