_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
Comandante General Zapiola
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC
Take a look at crew-mate Mike McCabe's (MikeM) Silver Medal award winner of this years "IPMS-UK Scale Model World" in Telford, England, the Argentinean Aviso Comandante General Zapiola.

Enjoy!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
A really well deserved prize and a delight to watch such a small dio - and although aparently a peacefull and quit one, it really is full of action and nice details to discover!
Congratulations Mike, on the model, and also on the Silver...
Congratulations Harry on making a good kit...
Mark, Thanks for sharing it with the community

Skipper
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:36 PM UTC
A very nice work of art!!!
As I told JB the other day, some of the best work I have seen.

Thanks Rui

The Silver Metal Photo is now the box art for the kit.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
Awesome work Mike!

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
Beautiful!!

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Silver Metal Photo is now the box art for the kit.

Nice touch Harry
Skipper
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, it was a lot of fun to do.

Mike
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
I *love* it, there's such a sense of forlornness on this diorama... There was a time when i used to dismiss small scale boat dioramas on the ground that you can't show any real valuable ambiance in these, but this kind of dioramas really prove the contrary, there's only to see the rare snow, the orange buidlings , the deep contrats between the grey of the boat an dthe darkness of the sea.. really, i love that one
and congratulations for the bit of round steel!
JB
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Bernard
Thanks for the kind words, I think you have an understanding of what I am trying to achieve with these type of models, talking to Rui at Telford I think he also has a similar attitude to his modelling, we are possibly at the more 'artistic' end of the hobby - the feel, setting and impression of the model is what matters perhaps a little less than the purely technical and dedication to accuracy. Not to say hastily that I think accuracy is not important, it is, but it isn't the most important thing.

In many ways I think the diorama possibilities of small scale ship models are only just being opened up, yes there are plenty of harbour dioramas out there but what about all the other possibilities?

By the way, it must be my photography which makes it look a forlorn scene, I was trying to go for a cheery scene of some remote research station having some fresh supplies and mail delivered to them watched by the teeming wildlife of Tierra del Fuego, but it is all in the eye of the beholder!

Cheers
Mike
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

talking to Rui at Telford I think he also has a similar attitude to his modelling, we are possibly at the more 'artistic' end of the hobby - the feel, setting and impression of the model is what matters perhaps a little less than the purely technical and dedication to accuracy. Not to say hastily that I think accuracy is not important, it is, but it isn't the most important thing.

In many ways I think the diorama possibilities of small scale ship models are only just being opened up, yes there are plenty of harbour dioramas out there but what about all the other possibilities?

Thanks Mike
As yours and also Jean-Bernard André's Dios, I like to transmit some atmosphere and also a story (wish, btw, sometimes pass undetected), but I am only starting to make some dios...

We can make a very accurate ship, put it on a nice seabase, but if no story passes to the viewer, no particular action or detail, than that would result on a "ship on a base" only - if you can get the viewer to have some emotion (preferably a positive one) out of your work, than I have made it!! Even if it doesn't win a prize

Playing around with the model hull, setting the scenery and figuring out what would be the "punch" line or highlight of the dio is much more than half the fun (and work too).

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP