_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Odd Ship at Pearl Harbor
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC
The thread on new campaigns has a post about the ships at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th. This has been bugging me all day and I can't find it. There was one odd ship there that most lists don't show. I think it was the former USS Baltimore but I'm not sure. If memory serves she was located near the hospital ship USS Solace. I seem to recall a very old ship, something left over from the Spanish American war, was in harbor, but not normally listed. Hazegray shows Baltimore was struck from the navy list in 1922 at Pearl Harbor, and sold for scrap in 1942, but doesn't say where she was in 1941.

Anybody know anything about this ship I'm talking about?

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:15 PM UTC
If I recall this correctly, once a ship is struck from the Naval register it does not exsist any londer. It is possible for any number of ships to have been physically located in Pearl Harbor, but if they were stuck then they did not technically exsist according to the Navy.

According to Wikipedia the Baltimore was in Pearl Harbor on December 7th.

USS Baltimore

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:48 AM UTC
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

Yep, the Baltimore it was. I never thought of Wikopedia, or doing a google for images of "Baltimore Pearl Harbor." Hazegray is my first choice for looking this king of thing up and I couldn't find it there.

_GOTOTOP