_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Warship Campaign: Update
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hmm... just under 4 weeks to go. I'd beter hurry!

And now for my report on my (lack) of progress: I haven't done a thing to my model since my last post.
...And I have a softball game tonight...
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 02:52 PM UTC
Well here are a couple more pics of the Wasp....ready for the paint booth now...everything is on, but the AC and the radar domes...which are white....so will paint them separate and add them later.....so now comes the long ardous process of painting and weathering.

It might be done for the deadline!!!!!

there are a few more on my armorama site....if you are interested....link at the bottom of message!!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For my modern ships I use Testors model masters Light Ghost Gray for vertical surfaces and Gunship Gray for horizontal surfaces. For Flight decks I use Navy Gloss Gray or Euro Gray.

OK...first off I want to say thanks to Nimitz for the paint info, but it begs another question....any pics I have seen for modern US ships....the flight deck is a darker grey than the top parts of the superstructions.....ie: Light Ghost Grey on the sides, Gunship Grey on the tops....is Navy Gloss Grey, or Euro Grey darker than Gunship Grey....as Gunship Grey is pretty dark to start with.....or has my eyes deceived me and the flight decks aren't really darker!!!! I suppose it depends on what angle it is looked at....in direct sunlight it would look lighter, and in shadow alot darker.

This picture....the deck almost looks like a patch of concrete!!

This one looks like ashphalt.....except for around the island and the starboard elevator.

This one also has some lines across the deck....looks like wear lines between the deck panels......

Anyway.....let me know what you think!!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 09:32 PM UTC
In the second picture the lighter shade is the high traffic areas of the flight deck and main hover areas of the aircraft. the wear could be from the ground crew scurrying around the aircraft for launch and recovery. That area takes a real beating when Ops are going on. I noticed the the elevators are the same color as the deck. and just a little around the front of the island. but the bow is more intact.(blacker). Harriers are usually on that part of the deck for rolling take offs. They are up on away by the time they reach that part. So the exhaust isn't directly blowing on it. Also the darker spots in the lighter area could be fuel stains.
Hope this helps.. By the way great picture
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
Just a quick question in follow up on my question of which gray to use - would those colors already suggested work?? Or is there someother magic formula??

Thanks again!!
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Yes, the Euro Gray and Navy Gloss gray are darker than gunship gray. I use those two colors to represent any anti-skid landing area (i.e. a carrier deck or the helicopter landing pad on smaller ships).

As far as 'magical' paint mixes, I use the Light ghost gray, Gunship gray, and Navy glossgray/Euro combination on all my modern U.S., European, and Japanese ships. The only exception is Russian ships, which are a little darker, I will use Neutral gray on vertical surfaces and either Testors Leather or Tamiyas Red/Brown on Horizontal surfaces. If the russian ships call for a deck gray, I will use the Gunship or Navy Gloss/Euro gray.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks!! I just wanted to make sure!!
 _GOTOTOP