_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
USS Gatling DD-671
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
Now that's I've been able to finish my Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher, I've been back at work trying to wrap up my build of DD-671, the USS Gatling. Gatling was the tin can my Uncle served on in the closing weeks of WW2. I'm using the 1/350 Trumpeter Sullivans, along with some Corsair Armada, L'Arsenal and YMW upgrade parts and the GMM PE set. Here's a few progress shots...

I'm hoping to have the model finished by Christmas and present her to my Uncle, who may be at my sister's house that night.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC
Looking sweeeeet, Martin!
Thanks for the update, mate...and before you give 'er away, take a bunch of pics for us here for a MOD feature, please?
~Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:18 AM UTC
Looks great. I used those L'Arsenal quad 40mms (20 of them!) on my Missouri and they really do turn out nice.

I'm glad you're doing this, as I'm going to be doing a square bridge with the "emergency AA re-fit" for the "Forgotten Sisters" campaign next year. Nice to know that I'll have a good reference available. Naturally, I'm doing it backwards, using the Tom's square bridge conversion kit on the round bridge Tamiya kit.

The thing that's got me worried is all the rigging. Do you have some good diagrams of all the rigging on a Fletcher? By the time you brace the masts, add the antenna lines and the signal halyards, it's a lot of stuff, and sometimes using photos to figure it all out isn't that easy.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 03:13 PM UTC
Super job Martin.

Gator
Obiwan3
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
Looking good!
One question; not trying to be a bother. That deck looks charcoal gray on my monitor. Is that corrrect? Is this in the late war MS 22?
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good!
One question; not trying to be a bother. That deck looks charcoal gray on my monitor. Is that corrrect? Is this in the late war MS 22?

Thanks for the comments. Yes, that is the late war Ms22 with the gawd-awful looking neutral grays. Horrible looking colors, aren't they?

Quoted Text

Looks great. I used those L'Arsenal quad 40mms (20 of them!) on my Missouri and they really do turn out nice.

I'm glad you're doing this, as I'm going to be doing a square bridge with the "emergency AA re-fit" for the "Forgotten Sisters" campaign next year. Nice to know that I'll have a good reference available. Naturally, I'm doing it backwards, using the Tom's square bridge conversion kit on the round bridge Tamiya kit.

The thing that's got me worried is all the rigging. Do you have some good diagrams of all the rigging on a Fletcher? By the time you brace the masts, add the antenna lines and the signal halyards, it's a lot of stuff, and sometimes using photos to figure it all out isn't that easy.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Tom, thanks for the nice words. Look forward to seeing your build - you do fantastic work.

I'll be using both Jeff Herne's book on the Fletcher/Sumner/Gearing class, as well as Raven't superb Fletcher class book for references on the rigging. On my Tamiya Fletcher, I did minimal rigging - I intend to do pretty much the same thing with this ship - I want it to be there, but not to be overpowering. Besides, time is growing short and I need to "git er done".

If you need anything from either book (if you don't have them), let me know and I'll be glad to scan pages for you.
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hey, martin I was wondering if the books you have have info onthe riggin of the Fletcher? If so I wonder if I might talk you into emailing me some of the info. Thanks ahead of time
 _GOTOTOP