_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
WW1 references
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
I'm half way through Robert K. Massie's Castles of Steel. It's a fantastic read, and it's motivating me to purchase some of Combrigs resin ships. My question to you fine folk would be,... Are there any still in print books that concentrate on WW1 ships? My reference in this area is woafully inadequate, consisting of one book, Battlecruisers by John Roberts.

thanks,

Frank
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
Ahoy, Frank!
Have you seen this site here?
I use it quite often for the old girls....
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
I think most of the best known books are out of print, like R.A. Burts book on British Battleships of WW1. Osprey's New Vanguard series has a recent set of books out, including some WW1 titles for both German and British Battlecruisers. The German Battlecruiser book is, IMO, the best release from Osprey/New Vanguard to date.

Here are some other websites which you might find useful:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/
http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/
http://www.battle-of-jutland.com/
http://www.maritimequest.com/
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC
Great selection of websites there,...all now bookmarked for future reference.

thanks,
Frank
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
hello Frank,
in researching for the Pre-dreadnought campaign,i went to my local library and found some good books.i then bought the best of the bunch.the titles were:Jane's Battleships of the 20th century by Bernard Ireland.this book has just about all the battleships from the Pre-Dreadnoughts to the Missouri in Gulf Storm.the other one isJane's War at Sea by Bernard Ireland.this book has it all from Pre-Dreadnoughts to Nuclear Carriers,lots of photo's and history of sea power in the 20th century. my local library has a "special collection" which i found all of the Jane's Fighting Ships from 1914 to 2005.yyour local library might have the same collection.
i have found that my local library has just about all the books in need to research any subject ,and if they do not they can get the book from another library system.
the web is great,but i like to have some good books on the subject i am building.
hope this helps.
cheers,
Bruce
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC
Great Idea, thanks Bruce! (I can't recall the last time I stepped in a library!)

Frank
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:44 PM UTC
hello Frank,
i just remember that there is a ww1 campaign that needs just one more to get it up and running.it is about 18 months away,so we have enought time to get geared up.
just letting you know.
cheers,
Bruce
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:03 PM UTC
I've already signed on. If we get the go ahead, I'll have to decide. I'm in the process of picking up Combrib's Agincourt, Invincible and Queen Mary from Pacific Front. Plenty of time to decide.

Frank
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

'm in the process of picking up Combrib's Agincourt, Invincible and Queen Mary from Pacific Front. Plenty of time to decide.

Frank

I have both the Agincourt (which is started) and Invincible (which is not). You won't be disappointed!!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have both the Agincourt (which is started) and Invincible (which is not). You won't be disappointed!!

The wait will kill me!

What options do we have for deck railing, I've scoured the online sites with no avail. I have purchased some of NNT WW1 12" gun barrels, and they look fabulous!~ I'ts a shame that NNT doesn't sell the barrels individually, as I'll need to pick up two sets of 13.5" barrels for the Gin Palace. (Or pick up three sets and an additional Combrig kit!?!) Let me know if any other aftermarket accesories are available for these 700th scale gems?

Frank
 _GOTOTOP