_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
NAVY TECH
DDG 1000 Zumwalt Class, USN
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
Aye, mates,
Take a look at this weeks "MSW Naval Technology", The USN's DDG 1000 Zumwalt Class, Multimission Destroyer!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:41 PM UTC
Certainly isn't much of a freeboard on her. Hopefully the crew won't want to spend too much time outside on steel beach developing their tans for the next liberty port.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
No helo hangar? I guess they forgot about the original DDG51 ships. ASW ships without a permeate helo just do not work out all that well. The electric drive for the ships looks rather interesting. Cruise ships have used this system for years, so its not lie it is new technology.

I know there has been much debate about the main gun, 5” or 155mm. Using the 155mm round give a common round between the Navy and Marines. But, 100nm range on a gun, wow, that is one heck of a shot. Plus a GPS guidance system on the round. That has got to be one interesting piece of hardware.

I can’t say I like the looks of her, but what do I know, I came from a Spruance Hybrid.

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:02 PM UTC
hello Mark,
just read the article and looked at the pic's. thanks for posting it.
by the way if you take out the 155mm guns, it looks kind of like a civil war ironclade,or is it just me.
please keep doing this type of reports,as it will give us a head start when the modeling companies start making these ships,for us to build.
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Mark,
just read the article and looked at the pic's. thanks for posting it.
by the way if you take out the 155mm guns, it looks kind of like a civil war ironclade,or is it just me.
please keep doing this type of reports,as it will give us a head start when the modeling companies start making these ships,for us to build.
cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the good comments, mate...I too enjoy this article series, and as long as I have relevant information, and the desire from the members, I'll continue production...good to keep abrest of what the goings on are in all the worlds naval forces............
 _GOTOTOP