Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
U-boat dio...planning stages
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC
Well, after finishing my TypeVIIC U-boat, I got the urge to do another one, only this time as part of a diorama, a big diorama at that. Here's my plan. Going to use another 1/72 Type VII, and a Type XXIII in a dry dock setting. They will be inline, one behind the other so it will be somewhere in the neighbor hood of 4.5'-5' long when complete. I got the ispiration after seeing the 1/144 diorama Ken Hart did in the Jan '06 issue of FSM using a 1/144 Type XXIII. I found a pic in a book I just bought yesterday that showed two Type VII boats in dry dock together in the same fashion, one behind the other. I understand that the VII is an older boat and the XXIII was newer, but I think it would look really cool to have both "up on blocks" as it were, together with various maintenance duties being done on both. I plan on opening both of them up and displaying the goods too. Torpedo doors, crew hatches etc. Isn't going to be a week long project by no means, but it should be a lot of fun to do.

Now, does anybody have any suggestions they'd like to share? I'm still in the planning stages so I'm open to ideas. I've gathered my boats, the Rvell Type VII/41, and the Special Navy Type XXIII, a few CMK figures, some PE, and a few reference books. I still have a ton of stuff to get. HInts, tips and suggestions are all greatly appreciated. Web References too. There might be some I don't have yet. Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from you! "Q"
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
While I am scooting around the internet I will keep your build in mind. If I run across any possible references I will let you know. Sounds like an impressinve project.

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 07:45 PM UTC
Jim, thanks for the thought. I have been picking up bits and pieces here and there as I go. Still continuing to gather stuff. Just scored another book last night, "Wolf Pack", which has some great info and pics in it. PE, and figures continue to show up too. Just thinking about the amount of figures this is going to take made me take a deep breath. Luckily I can cast things so I might be able to get away with buying a few sets, casting them, and then cutting them up to make new poses etc. Thanks again for the encouragement. "Q"
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:20 PM UTC
Matthew,

You may want to take a look at what CMK Maritime has to offer.

CMK Maritime

later...Gator
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Gator. I've been eye balling these at length. I have a couple of them already. The dry-dock bases look good. Problem is with the size of my dio it is going to take a lot of them. I'm thinking I'll buy a set, make molds and cast the rest of what I need. Hopefully the molds would hold up to that much casting! Also, if anybody knows of some good shots of U-boats, type unimportant, in dry dock, please give me a yell. I have a pretty collection going in my reference folder I started, but I think you can never have too much reference. Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP