_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Make Your Own Rope Rigging
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Crew-member Den Holmes (densships) shares his technique of making rope rigging with a "rope-walk", in the MSW SBS feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
I have always liked the big sailing ships. I have also wanted to try building one of those big plank on ships (fav has always been "Old Ironsides"). This would be a great way to add detail to a ship like that. Great article and very informative.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
We made rope with a system similar to this in Boy Scouts. It took a good deal of time, but you had a good rope when you were done. That is one very good feature. Thank you for sharing this lost art with us.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Awesome work Den. Thanks for sharing.

later...Gator
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
Nice rig, good pix, very handy tool! I can see use for this in the future...(hopefully not too far). Thanks Dennis, well done
PETERPETER
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
I have been looking at your instructions for building and operating a ropewalk. The comment attached to photo #20 says... "As you turn, the left end will try to move toward the right end since the rope is shortening due to the twisting of the yarns. Let the movement occur, but do not let the rope go slack."

Question: Since both ends of the ropewalk are screwed to the baseboard, otherwise fixed in their position, how can movement occur?

When I tried my ropewalk for the first few times, only a few inches of rope laid up, and as I continued to twist up the yarns, one finally broke because of too much tension. I'm feeling like a dunce, as though I did something wrong. Duuuuhhhh!

_GOTOTOP