_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
MSW Artist Profile~Jim Baumann
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

This month, we spend a little time with UK ship modeler Jim Baumann, in a little Q&A session, in the next installment of our "MSW Artist Profile" series!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:12 PM UTC
Jim - nice to meet you...

I especially loved your "surrounded by models" answer, and for tools, a 2nd PC in the model area - I agree. I am half there, but no wireless router or net connection. (I'm hoping to eventually hook up and camera-up, so my mate in the US and I can model together at the same time, like back in high-shool (around a card table!)

Your comments on photos vs plans was excellent, a good lesson for us all. And speaking of photos, love your work. The Hog island dio especially, and the Imperial Russian, but really, all detailed, and alive and real... and excellent water!

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:42 PM UTC
Jim, thank you for sharing with us. You projects are great. The WIG aircraft are something you don’t see very often, neither is a hydrofoil on its foils.

I also agree with the photo over plan comment. Sometimes a little research can go a long way. Thank you again!

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC
What? no "Sinking of the Szent Istvan"? That's my prefered of Jim's works!
Jim's boats were certainly missing from the Artists profile series, so thanks Mark for bringing that one out - What a great trip through 150 years of the History of the ship.. Alongside a few surprises like The Ekranoplane (is it the right way to write?)
What's pretty good is that all those pics and this absolutely perfect work give an idea of the kind of infinite ship modelers can dream to reach..

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
Yes it was fun and very enjoyable feature to read and especially to look!
Knowing Jim in person, one thing that the reading don't show, is that Jim is a very good person (apart from being an excellent ship modeler)!
Friendly, always helpful, open minded, he would go the extra mile for help others.

Jim as also the credit of being a modeler that has united ship modelers from every corner of the world - see my tag line and you will understand how important this is to me!!!

We should have no limit of photos in Artist Profiles
Thanks Jim
Thanks Mark

Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
I love the historical diversity in Jim's collection. It's as if Jim is trying to recreate every step of naval development over the last 200 years. As far as the quality of the collection, it is beautiful and inspiring. I look forward to your future builds.

Thank you Mark, and thank you Jim,
Frank
bobcicconi
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Model Shipwrights: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
I've always admired Jim's work. He always shares his techniques with everyone and helps anyone who asks for his assistance. He's one of the best builders around, and also one of the nicest people around at the same time!
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
hello Mark,
Thank you for the profile on Jim Baumann.He is a true master of Ship Modeling.Loved all the models,it shows me what i can do if i keep at it.
cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thank you so much for sharing Jim. What a wonderful read and your models are truly inspiring.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:13 PM UTC
Most incredible work... not only construction of course, but just love that era.... thanks for sharing!
 _GOTOTOP