_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Torpedo nets
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi
I have the Varyag and Baradino pre-dreadnaughts on my list of imminent builds and have a question. I notice torpedo net booms on the side of these ships ....can anyone tell me more about them?
are they supposed to look like they are just attached to the side of the ship with no support equipment or hinges?
would they in practice have netting attached during manouvers,and how could I replicate this?I am toying with the idea of using medical gauze soaked in an appropriate white glue/water mix, then painted,shadowed and highlighted.
Any help at all would be ...um.....helpful!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
Here are a couple of shots that somebody sent me because I had questions about the netting.

I'm using some window screen to depict the net. The poles had a joint attaching it to the ship. Then there were cables to brace the poles in place.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
Ahoy, Jim!

A bit more, here...
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
many thanks for the timely informative responses guys!!...does anyone know if those nets would have been rolled up and stowed in place attached to those booms when not in use?
were they made of metal rings,like giant chainmail armour,or of a cable construction?
I would assume if they were used like schurtzen, to detonate a torpedo against the nets instead of the ship, they would be more of an interlocked ring configuration,but Im guessing.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

many thanks for the timely informative responses guys!!...does anyone know if those nets would have been rolled up and stowed in place attached to those booms when not in use?
were they made of metal rings,like giant chainmail armour,or of a cable construction?
I would assume if they were used like schurtzen, to detonate a torpedo against the nets instead of the ship, they would be more of an interlocked ring configuration,but Im guessing.

And again, a bit more...
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:25 AM UTC
Many many many thanks!!!!!!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
Gunny,
Great article, very good read.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny,
Great article, very good read.

Ditto that for me. Just when you think you know all sorts of interesting stuff, you learn some more.

_GOTOTOP