_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
SPOTLIGHT
Hasegawa's next SOYA
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:17 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Join me in a "sneak peek" inside the box of soon to be released, new 1/350 scale kit from Hasegawa Models, Antarctica Observation Ship, SOYA, second version!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
Is this a re-release of the previous SOYA, like a Dragon "Premium" kit? or a completely different version/ship, but same plastic quality? The "old" SOYA is popping out in sale prices in sites like GM... if you would buy/build ONE SOYA, which one would you choose?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this a re-release of the previous SOYA, like a Dragon "Premium" kit? or a completely different version/ship, but same plastic quality?

Ahoy, James!
This is a different version from the previous Hasegawa SOYA...same base kit, with some new parts added for this specific variant, mate...

Quoted Text

The "old" SOYA is popping out in sale prices in sites like GM... if you would buy/build ONE SOYA, which one would you choose?

James, I have the first SOYA kit in my stash, and quite honestly, the kit is very nice...I would have to say that all of the kits in this series thus far from Hasegawa are quite good in quality!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
I wonder if the new one has the 1/350 penguins.

Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if the new one has the 1/350 penguins.

Gator

Yessirree, they're on the photo-etch sheet Ken!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC
It's a great little model, but not for the beginner. The mix of a difficult hull layout and the significant use of clear plastic parts around the bridge makes for a challenging build.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this a re-release of the previous SOYA, like a Dragon "Premium" kit? or a completely different version/ship, but same plastic quality? The "old" SOYA is popping out in sale prices in sites like GM... if you would buy/build ONE SOYA, which one would you choose?

James, without a doubt, the Soya model to get is the first release (1st Corps). The primary reason is that it is the only release to include a copy of the actual museum guide book found at the real ship. This book has tons of photos, drawings, and cutaways that are indispensable to the modeler. The later releases don't include this treasure trove of information.

If you intend on building a Soya, a must-have is the Model Art Ship Modeling Special #23. It includes a very well done Soya build-up in steps that makes tackling this difficult little ship much easier. It can be ordered from Hobby Link Japan:
http://www.hlj.com/product/MDAKS-23

Finally, another little item of help is Gunze's Soya paint set. This includes colors pre-mixed to match the Soya's main colors. Also available at HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZCS613

Good luck!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

James, without a doubt, the Soya model to get is the first release (1st Corps). The primary reason is that it is the only release to include a copy of the actual museum guide book found at the real ship. This book has tons of photos, drawings, and cutaways that are indispensable to the modeler. The later releases don't include this treasure trove of information.

If you intend on building a Soya, a must-have is the Model Art Ship Modeling Special #23. It includes a very well done Soya build-up in steps that makes tackling this difficult little ship much easier. It can be ordered from Hobby Link Japan:
http://www.hlj.com/product/MDAKS-23

Finally, another little item of help is Gunze's Soya paint set. This includes colors pre-mixed to match the Soya's main colors. Also available at HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZCS613

Good luck!

Ok Dade,
Gotta ask, mate...have you built this kit? Sure would make for a fine "On Display"....
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Dade,
Gotta ask, mate...have you built this kit? Sure would make for a fine "On Display"....

She's been started, but her completion has been held up due to my own sheer laziness. I try not to be a modeler with a million half-builts clogging the house, but for some reason, I just can't seem to finish off two kits: the Soya and ICM's SMS Konig (hangs head in shame).

I will have those two reviews I promised to you by the end of this weekend though. As for the Soya, maybe someday... but not today.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok Dade,

She's been started, but her completion has been held up due to my own sheer laziness. I try not to be a modeler with a million half-builts clogging the house, but for some reason, I just can't seem to finish off two kits: the Soya and ICM's SMS Konig (hangs head in shame).

I will have those two reviews I promised to you by the end of this weekend though. As for the Soya, maybe someday... but not today.

Roger-roger, Dade...
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC
Thank you all for such in depth replies and information... I will grab it next time its on sale in GreatModels (and make sure I click the ModelShipwrights banner ad ... will actually build it in a few years once I know what I am doing

I will park it in my stash next tot he John Brown Liberty Ship!
 _GOTOTOP