_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
EVENT
MosquitoCon this weekend in NJ!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
Since I've been unable to use the (censored)event form to submit this, I hope the moderators will give me a little leeway to post this here...

Just a reminder, the annual MosquitoCon show is this Saturday April 5th, in Wayne NJ. As with previous shows, we have rented both sides of the Wayne Police Athletic League (PAL) Hall just off of Route 23, about a mile or so north of Route 80 (take the 1st exit).

Why come to MosquitoCon? Well, here's just a few reasons:
* It's the largest annual model hobby event in Jersey!
* Attendees state that it's the most enjoyable model show they have ever attended!
* NJIPMS's show staff (basically the entire membership) are seasoned professionals, with 17 annual shows under their belts - 2008 will be show No.18 (which means I'm getting old)!!
* Mosquitocon boasts more vendors/better vendors than most IPMS USA Regional shows.
* Lighting in the model room is superb!
* Number of models competing meets or exceeds the amount that show up at most IPMS USA Regionals!
* Modelers attend our show from the 4 points of the compass in America as well as from Europe, South America and Asia!
* We have great looking award plaques!
* NJIPMS has many ship modelers in its membership and the ship categories are filled with great models!
* You may run into crewmembers like Bob Cicconi or Devin Poore, among others!

This year the show theme will be 1943 - Prelude to Victory. For ship modelers, that means you can build any number of ships. For example, 1943 saw many of the Essex class fleet carriers join the fleet.

Head over to the NJ/IPMS website (http://www.njipms.org) for full details, which include a show flyer and model entry forms, the latter of which we encourage show attendees to fill out ahead of time. The show flyer has directions, list of categories, list of special awards, rules and other pertinent info.

Here's a shot of last year's Best Ship and Best in Show, Dan Kaplan's fantastic IJN Cruiser Chokai (2007 was the 3rd year in a row that a ship took Best in Show honors, and the 2nd year in a row it went to one of Dan's fabulous ships!)

And here's Dan's winner of the Best Ship/Best in Show from the prior year:
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
And for the 4th year in a row, a ship takes the top honors....

The winner of the Bill Marshall Memorial Award for Best Ship and the Norm Kennedy Memorial Award for Judges Best in Show was awarded to Gary Kingzett's amazing, scratchbuilt USS San Francisco.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC
Fantastic news, Martin!

A hearty congrats to Mr. Kingzett and his most amazing looking scratchbuild (any chance of getting him on board here, Martin, with some detailed pics of this beauty?)...thanks for sharing mate!
Cheers,
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
That is one very nice looking ship!

Thank you for letting us know about Gary winning!

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Yes that San Francisco was truly impressive,overall however not many ships there,good quality but not many,lots of subs,that was the first time I have seen those Gato's built up,huge and impressive
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Martin

Excellent show, from what I have seen!
It would indeed be fun to attend MosquitoCon one day, and have a chance to meet some of you guys! One day...

What did you bring home this time?
Can we expect a photo report, please?

Thanks
Rui

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. It was a good day. Bob Cicconi also took home 3 awards, a 1st, and (IIRC), two 2nds.

I'll be happy to post more photos, but as I was Chief Judge I was pretty bush and only took about 100 digital photos myself. Once the pictures come in from the photography crew and are posted on our clubs website, I'll try and put something together.

Here's another shot of Gary's San Francisco. And Mark, I'll talk to him.

Oh, and Rui, I took home two 3rds - one each for Gneisenau and Fletcher.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the comments guys. It was a good day. Bob Cicconi also took home 3 awards, a 1st, and (IIRC), two 2nds.

I'll be happy to post more photos, but as I was Chief Judge I was pretty bush and only took about 100 digital photos myself. Once the pictures come in from the photography crew and are posted on our clubs website, I'll try and put something together.

Sounds good Martin...would be nice to see a heap of photo's!

Quoted Text

Here's another shot of Gary's San Francisco. And Mark, I'll talk to him.

Man, that's a sweet looking build...do your best, mate!

Quoted Text

Congratulations, Martin!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good news for Bob and for you, Martin!
I am always pleased to see that some excellent modelers are very happy, regardless of the result of the contest - after all this is a very good excuse to get together and to share opinions, talk and have a few beers
Congrats on your prizes - tough (but friendly) competition!
Looking forward to see more - but no rush!!

Cheers,
Rui
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
I believe this is Quinn's' Fletcher.
 _GOTOTOP