_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Airfix German E Boat (1:72)
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!

Jim Adams (Goldenpony) shares his thoughts with us on an older, 1975, Airfix German E-boat.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 01:04 AM UTC
Good review Jim!
I'm a firm believer in covering reviews of all kits, old and new, so this review is most welcome in our data-banks, mate...thanks for sharing!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Ahhh! Thanks Jim.

I built this kit many, many years ago (maybe about 1976) when I was about fourteen. It was the biggest kit I had and had total pride of place! I loved it!

No references at all in those days but the detail was brilliant!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good review Jim!
I'm a firm believer in covering reviews of all kits, old and new, so this review is most welcome in our data-banks, mate...thanks for sharing!

I will DITTO the above quote..as a hobby "returnee", I like seeing the "old" kits reviewed or built up... one of my personal "projects" is to build up all the kits (mostly ships) I did as a kid.... and this time I promise not to recreate the battle of midway with firecrackers

Thanks for the review!
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:22 AM UTC
Jim spot on with your review you have a way with words for discribing everything about the kit. Just like most I built my kit because as a young boy had wanted to build these kind of ships because of the box art that alone gave kids and adults so much imagination as to what these boats did in the war.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. I have a couple other older kits I am doing as well, so Keep an eye out for them.

I am glad this was so well received.

Since I am a returnee as well, I am looking to build what I like and enjoy what I am doing. I enjoyed things as a kid and I am doing it now. like i said, these older kits might be hard at times, but they can be worth it. OK, off my soapbox now.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Nice review - I must say that this is one of those models that really make a point in my youth!
This was a present from my father when I passed the 9th grade - last century, many years ago!
I had at the time the ASR launch and the LCM and drooled myself on the Airfix catalog with that amazing illustration. Got it and build it!

And a quick note that could help the modelers who which to build this one:
- Denmark and Spain also used these craft (and also S-38 and S-100 versions) some of them until the 80's - if you want to make them in different user colours!
- Hecker and Goros make nice crew sets for this Schnellboot (they were made for the S-100, but can be used in this)
- WEM has a PE set for S-100 that can be used in some details of this model
- WEM also make good paint sets (Deutsche KriegsMarine Colourcoats set)

Cheers and congratulations on a nice Review
Rui

_GOTOTOP