_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
LCAC colors...?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 04:40 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

Been slowly making my way through the 1/444 Trumpeter LCAC while on a business trip...

Can anyone give me Tamiya or Model Master (preferably acryllic) color recommendations for the multiple shades of gray on the craft, including the deck? I have read that Trump's color guide (they suggest painting most of the craft silver) is incorrect.

What color would the pilot house interior be?

And would the portholes and other glass --- would they be plain clear or shaded clear blue-green or some other color?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the rubber skirt? Seems simple but a good shade of rubber can be hard to find.

Last question --- one reviewer mentioned that the axle for the big fans should extend forward through several of the deck house structures... Anyone have any drawings or photos...?

Apologies --- I'm an armor guy who also likes 35th scale WWII landing craft and Vietnam-era PBRs and other patrol craft. The modern stuff is outside my normal area of experience(but hey, how can a hovercraft NOT be cool? Now we just need the Vietnam-era PACV...in 35th scale, of course!

Thanks, Folks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Johnny,

I spent time on and around these while in the Navy. I just wish i could help you more with the main color questions. I do know the windows are bullet resistant, so have they blue/green tint.

The rubber skirt is a hard one. The real life color is the same as a tire.

The shaft you mention does go from the fan through that aft structure up into the engine compartment. So it would be visible in between that aft structure and engine compartment.

I don't know if this picture will help. Maybe another member can give you an idea on colors by this. The deck looks more deck grey, like a normal Navy ship. The remainder looks more haze grey to me. The Japanese version does seem to have more of a silver finish to it. The main doeck does have non-skid on it as well.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heya, Folks,

Been slowly making my way through the 1/444 Trumpeter LCAC while on a business trip...

Can anyone give me Tamiya or Model Master (preferably acryllic) color recommendations for the multiple shades of gray on the craft, including the deck? I have read that Trump's color guide (they suggest painting most of the craft silver) is incorrect.

Hi John,
Jim's photo that he posted is a great reference shot, and using this image, and this Testors Chart, I think that you'll arrive with the two main grays that you should pick for this scheme...

Quoted Text

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the rubber skirt? Seems simple but a good shade of rubber can be hard to find.

Like Jim has stated, mate, the skirt being rubber, would be the same color/texture as a rubber tire...so with that thought in mind, and you being an AFV modeler, what you personally use for your AFV tires should be fine in this case...I use the RUSTALL method of tire painting for all rubber like applications, which is to use several coats of "Deadflat" over the base color, which makes the finish look more like a rubber tire finish...looks "right", if you know what I mean...

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
John,

Try Tamiya's NATO black for the rubber skirt. It's a lighter shade of black and should represent rubber well with a drybrushing of gray.

Gator
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
Thanks for all the advice, guys and as well as the fantastic photo, Jim!

Will keep you posted on my progress, which will slow down now that I am back home from my business trip (where I get much of my modeling done --- I've got a two and a half year old son at home and he rightfully gets most of my free time)...

I'm pretty psyched that Trumpeter has announced a 1/72nd scale version of the LCAC...no doubt, it will be the size of a small end table... But first, I have ta get this sucker finished.

Thanks again, fellahs!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP