_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
WOD
Navy Word of the Day ~ 05/09/08
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:41 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!

Continuing on with your Naval education we bring you another installment of MSW’s Navy Word of the Day.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
The interesting thing about colors, at least when I was in,
was that there appeared to be two types of sailors,
those that did everything they could to avoid being outside when colors was sounded, and those that accepted it as part of the military life.
I've seen guys of all ranks and officers actually running off the flight-deck, and hanger bays and weather decks seconds before colors was sounded. Certainly not a very good example for the younger strikers.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The interesting thing about colors, at least when I was in,
was that there appeared to be two types of sailors,
those that did everything they could to avoid being outside when colors was sounded, and those that accepted it as part of the military life.
I've seen guys of all ranks and officers actually running off the flight-deck, and hanger bays and weather decks seconds before colors was sounded. Certainly not a very good example for the younger strikers.

Times have not changed. Those two types are still around. Call me a patrotic fool, but everytime our flags goes up that flag pole I get chills.

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:40 PM UTC
They were in the Army, too. We usually had a Battery formation in the AM for First Call & Reveille; then in the PM for Retreat & To The Color. Do they use the same bugle calls in the US Navy?

Jim, I know the feeling about the Flag. I get it, too. Sometimes makes me miss the Army.

Jim
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Good one Jim.. one more place where colors is NOT followed: if the base is "owned" by a NATO member, as I learned when I was in Sigonella NAS. No colors, due to the fact that 20% of the base (less if you include the airstrip) was Italian.
 _GOTOTOP