_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Frank's Mikasa Series
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC
Frank Portela (Clanky44) has treated us to a three part series of product reviews, all relating to the IJN Battlesip, Mikasa...check them out!

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks Frank!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:47 PM UTC
Ahh Finally these reviews see the light!
Thanks (several times) Frank
Good job
Rui
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
Just when I thought it was safe to shut the door on the stash closet.
I figured those were nice kits, but I had no idea how nice.
Thanks for taking te time to do those for use Frank!

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
Thanks guys!.... if it wasn't for Rui and Mark's perseverance, they never would of seen the light.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:21 PM UTC
Good job, Frank!

Hmm, I wrote a build review for the 1/350 Mikasa for my local IPMS chapter a while back. I should post that here as a "side story" to your reviews! It could serve as a warning to those who think this model may be easier to put together than it actually is...

I think I posted this pic in the Pre-Dreads topic a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to check. My Mikasa:

KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hey Frank
Thanks for the review .... really great ....

I got the Mikasa (Batlle for Tsushima edition) at my 30th birthday 2 weeks ago ... and I'm going to build it, using the LionRoar PE set, for the Pre-Dreadnought Campaign .. really looking forward to it ... she's a nice ship ... the Seals kit looks awesome too .... might end up in my kit-stash

Dade .... that's a fine looking Mikasa you got there .. great build ....
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, I wrote a build review for the 1/350 Mikasa for my local IPMS chapter a while back. I should post that here as a "side story" to your reviews! It could serve as a warning to those who think this model may be easier to put together than it actually is...

Bring it on, Dade!

It's definitely to all of our benefit to have as many different opinions on each kit subject, as then the reader can then gel all thoughts and opinions together in making a decision as to whether or not he should go for the kit in question...our site has a built in feature that most may not know about, and that is the option of adding your own review of the same kit, to the current review(s) onsite.

At the end of each review is a big yellow box that states, "Readers Reviews" that allows this function to be performed...your personal thoughts and opinions will be added to the specific review that is currently published, and may differ greatly from the original reviewers thoughts (as each of us are human, and definitely different from each other in many aspects ), and the addition of such may sway someone either right or left, that is about to shell out a heap of hard earned cash on a kit or accessory, and a different opinion is definitely of value in this area.............any review onsite can be accessed and added to in this manner, and also, as always, we welcome any kit, accessory, book, tool, review(s) that are currently not in our database, whether it's a new release, or a moldy oldy...information is worthless unless shared, my friend, and I love to share information about all aspects of this glorious hobby!

Cheers,
~Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:25 AM UTC
Beautiful Mikasa Dade! Would love to see additional photos of your build, the rigging looks spot on!

I completly agree with Mark, your built up review would really complete these "first look" reviews.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Alrighty, Mark, I'll send that review over when the dust has settled from this Modelpalooza craziness (I've got people coming from outta town to stay with me for the show) and I can snap some newer better photos. That "Readers Reviews" button is a great option, but I'll send it to you as an article so pictures can be included.

It'll actually be a combination review since the kit was built with GMM PE, and my write up contains commentary on that as well.

It's a nice kit, but not for the timid. The painting and assembly hurdles one has to go through can be very daunting even to experienced builders- and I think the instructions don't fully get across the complexity of paint-assemble-paint-assemble that this entails. I remember somebody talking about wanting to do the Mikasa as their first ship kit and I cautioned heavily against it (IMO Tamiya's Fletcher is the perfect first ship kit in 1/350).

Expect the review next week.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys!

Alrighty, Mark, I'll send that review over when the dust has settled from this Modelpalooza craziness (I've got people coming from outta town to stay with me for the show) and I can snap some newer better photos. That "Readers Reviews" button is a great option, but I'll send it to you as an article so pictures can be included.

It'll actually be a combination review since the kit was built with GMM PE, and my write up contains commentary on that as well.

It's a nice kit, but not for the timid. The painting and assembly hurdles one has to go through can be very daunting even to experienced builders- and I think the instructions don't fully get across the complexity of paint-assemble-paint-assemble that this entails. I remember somebody talking about wanting to do the Mikasa as their first ship kit and I cautioned heavily against it (IMO Tamiya's Fletcher is the perfect first ship kit in 1/350).

Expect the review next week.

Bravo-Zulu Dade!
Looking forward to it, mate.........
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Excellent reviews! Special thanks for the 1:700 review, a great alternative for those of us who cant (or wont) tackle the 350 option; this is a beautiful ship indeed. Cheers
 _GOTOTOP