_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Update on S130 and an answer to some question
Ali1kj
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hello Chaps.

Can we visit the S130 ?

I will not be possible to pay visits to S130 as it is held on private land and as its value is high it will be out of bounds to all but the restoration team.
It also will be fully protected from the elements to save the frame work and other sensitive components from the British weather. The above, plus the inevitable health and safety considerations (it is a working shipyard environment with many very dangerous bits of equipment moving about as well as restorations on other privately owned ships/boats/craft) will prevent it from being open to public viewing and visits. It is BIG and as such dangerous, having been in one I can fully understand the dangers. Tanks are tiny to me now

We are lucky that Mr Wheatcroft has saved it but also has the far sightedness to get The Research Squad to run the web site that will be documenting the progress. We will also be fully recording the work in very great detail for a quite extensive publication.

In fact, in a few days or so there are updates due to be placed on the site, Brian and I are working on these now and they should be OK' ed for issue by Mr Wheatcroft shortly.
These will include some survey picture of the engines that are being recovered from a Jaguar Class boat (I was down inside the hull all day on Monday with the survey team) as well pictures and maybe film showing dive recovery work from a number of other boats that were scuttled.

Please use the site to follow the restoration, we know what you guys need and will be making all efforts to get the information out ASAP.

Also, if you check at http://www.s130.co.uk/ , we have just opened a forum at the site so you can discuss what is there, add missing info (we need you to help find pictures, history etc). and discuss anything about the class of boat or S130 that you wish to.

Thanks guys, the site , we and Kevin will try to help as much as possible

Aj
The Research Squad
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
Ahoy, Al!

Thanks for the update, mate...this will truly be a definite benefit to us shipwrights, and I've been following the story regularly since your earlier announcement...what a thrill it must be to actually be on board of this vessel! Looking forward to more.............

Cheers,
~Gunny
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the link... I love projects like this, thanks for the FYI. cheers!
 _GOTOTOP