_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
RV Calypso
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
Ahoy Mateyes.

I'm so glad to learn that RV Calypso has been saved by members of the Cousteu Society. I hope I'll be able to see her after she's through her restoration.

Regarding the RV Calypso..... if I we're to build a good display model of her, what would be my best startingpoint? ... Are there any other kits of her, that the Revell kit?

Regarding the Revell kit .. .How is it .. is it any good? And has anybody produced PE for it?

I found a guy who sells blueprints of her ... perhaps that would be a better start, and I'll just do her as a total scratch project!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Mateyes.

I'm so glad to learn that RV Calypso has been saved by members of the Cousteu Society. I hope I'll be able to see her after she's through her restoration.

Regarding the RV Calypso..... if I we're to build a good display model of her, what would be my best startingpoint? ... Are there any other kits of her, that the Revell kit?

Regarding the Revell kit .. .How is it .. is it any good? And has anybody produced PE for it?

I found a guy who sells blueprints of her ... perhaps that would be a better start, and I'll just do her as a total scratch project!

Aye, the Calypso, a flashback to my childhood, sitting in front of the TV and watching the wonders of the sea unfold!

I can honestly say that I have no idea how the Revell kit is, Niels, but as I have always felt, no matter how big of a dog a kit may be, there are always ways of making it better! I don't believe that any A/M details have been produced (yet?!), but you have definitely sparked my interest...a good starting point, you ask, well, you already have a good starting point, mate, with the interest that you have in the build...next step, would be to aquire both the kit, and the plans that you have mentioned, and then compare them to one another, to see if there will be needing any adjustments to the Revell kit...then make a solid game plan. and get busy!!

Do keep us informed of the project, mate!
Cheers,
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
I have been building the Calypso when I was a kid, I used tio really love the shark cage as well as the 2 sharks that were provided
Loads of seam lines and soft details from what I can remind, but very interesting shapes..
I have been seing the Calypso when she was resting in a corner of la Rochelle's Harbour 6 years ago. It was full night and I had drunk a few beers before, and how she looked spooky and rather rusty.. Just like you see an old actress in the streets of Cannes
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been building the Calypso when I was a kid, I used tio really love the shark cage as well as the 2 sharks that were provided
Loads of seam lines and soft details from what I can remind, but very interesting shapes..
I have been seing the Calypso when she was resting in a corner of la Rochelle's Harbour 6 years ago. It was full night and I had drunk a few beers before, and how she looked spooky and rather rusty.. Just like you see an old actress in the streets of Cannes

he he .. some age with more grace than others .... I'm sure, that the Society will do their best to resurrect her.

Well ..... no reason to prolong the project .. so I've bought the plans from Ebay ... I might "just" be a set of plans from the Billing Boats kit ... I'm not sure .. hard to tell from the pictures ..... for with a total price including shipping I was willing to take the chance

Next in line, will be to track down the kit!
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:46 AM UTC
I understand the her restoration is going very well..her hull was in much better shape than they thought - she's a tough old US Minesweeper! I built the old revell and it's gonna take some work to make a real nice mosel out of it. Billings has what I've heard is the best kit out there - this may help-
http://www.ahrensdesign.net/calypso/index.asp
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here ya go, Niels!

Calypso

Type in Calypso in the search bar.....
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand the her restoration is going very well..her hull was in much better shape than they thought - she's a tough old US Minesweeper! I built the old revell and it's gonna take some work to make a real nice mosel out of it. Billings has what I've heard is the best kit out there - this may help-
http://www.ahrensdesign.net/calypso/index.asp

Hmmm, I have considered the Billing Boats kit .... but I'm not much of a balsa-builder ... However I've considered contacting Billing ... about possible references .... Billings mainfactory is located not that far from me .. I've actually visited them once, with a couple of friends ..... don't remember if I have some pics or video from the visit.

A friend of mine used to work there ... so that might be the right way into getting some of their references.
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here ya go, Niels!

Calypso

Type in Calypso in the search bar.....

whew .... 175$ is a bit more than I can afford at the moment .... vacation time is getting near

But I'll keep it in mind ... and will keep an eye out on Ebay ... at least I'll then have a pricetag for comparison, when I find it on Ebay

Thanks for the link Mark
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
I received the blueprints from Daves Drydock yesterday .. and they look great.... the sheet with the minisub looks like it's been upscaled a bit to much .. but it's ok ..... the sheet with the Calypso herself on the other hand .. is awesome ......

It's so great that I'm tempted to (if I don't stumble on the Revell kit) to try and tackle her as a scratch project .. that would also give me the possibillity of making her at a larger scale (at 1/72 she'd measure 57,5cm in length)

But for now I'll keep an eye out for the Revell kit, while I focus on some of my other projects .. like the Yamato!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:18 AM UTC
You'll never guess, what I won today !!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking "Aye, Calypso"......

KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm thinking "Aye, Calypso"......

I'll post some pictures, once I have the kit (hopefully next week).

If any of you guys have any good references .. or links to such .. they'd be greatly appreciated .... I have some .. but not much .... the blueprints I have are great .. but I'd really like some references of the interior and equipment .... so I can do my best to replicate all visible interiors.

Have a great evening .. and a great weekend!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
I received the kit 2 days ago ... She's a fine little ship.

I haven't had time to snap some pics, but will do so this weekend!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I received the kit 2 days ago ... She's a fine little ship.

I haven't had time to snap some pics, but will do so this weekend!

That's great news, mate, looking forward to it...and if you have the time, a "first look" or "inbox" review would be cool too, Niels, as we also need reviews of the older and classic kits, too...if you need help, just give me a shout my friend.

I'm really looking forward to this project, Niels, as the Calypso brings back many memories of my early ship building experiences many years ago...I used to have a fantastic very thick volume of the boat with tons of photographs for reference, but alas, she is long gone, after many life-moves...keep us posted, mate!

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP