_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
5 Speed Hold-n-Fold
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:16 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

This MSW Tool Review takes a closer look at The Small Shops revolutionary photo-etch workstation, The 5 Speed Hold-n-Fold.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
Very cool tool. Thanks for sharing Gunny.

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:47 PM UTC
I do agree a very nice looking tool in deed.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
I bought that one couple months ago, have not test drive it yet, waiting for the Charles Adams small PE fret as my first PE ever... will post something once I use it, see how it works in the hands of a clueless newbie like me
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

i have to agree, the Hold and Fold is a great little accessory tool. I have the Etch Mate from Mission Models and while not as sturdy as the metal fingered one you have reviewed, they are hard to beat when it comes to wadding up your PE. The only problem I have is getting the PE parts lined up perfectly to make the bends in the 1/700 scale stuff I usually deal with. The old Mark I eyeballs aren't what they used to be. Fortunately brass is very forgiving in that regard.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

i have to agree, the Hold and Fold is a great little accessory tool. I have the Etch Mate from Mission Models and while not as sturdy as the metal fingered one you have reviewed, they are hard to beat when it comes to wadding up your PE. The only problem I have is getting the PE parts lined up perfectly to make the bends in the 1/700 scale stuff I usually deal with. The old Mark I eyeballs aren't what they used to be. Fortunately brass is very forgiving in that regard.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

I can relate totally on that, my friend, my eyes are DEFINITELY not what they used to be as well, and that's one of the problems that the Hold-n-Fold addresses, with the black anodized base of the tool...the contrast between the black base against brass AND stainless etch parts is remarkable, making even the smallest part so much easier to align properly...and right now, the tool's on sale at The Small Shop's home page for practically the same cost as the etch-mate...you can get a cherry for the cost of an apple......

Thanks for the comments, mate!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hey Gunny, resurrecting an old post here, but just wanted to say thanks for the review! I just picked one of these up and I have to say well worth the money (especially being on sale at GM)! This is definately a nice machine and a pleasure to use. Just wish I picked up one of these first

Nice to have a quality tool that makes working with PE pleasurable, thanks again for the informative review.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunny, resurrecting an old post here, but just wanted to say thanks for the review! I just picked one of these up and I have to say well worth the money (especially being on sale at GM)! This is definately a nice machine and a pleasure to use. Just wish I picked up one of these first

Nice to have a quality tool that makes working with PE pleasurable, thanks again for the informative review.

Ahoy James!
Aye mate, old posts, never die....

I'm sure that there are alot of modelers that feel the same way as you and I mate...

I will agree, some of the finest machining workmanship and design, extreme userability, and built to last...
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP