_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
WOD
Navy Word of the Day ~ 06/25/08
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:50 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!

Continuing on with your Naval education we bring you another installment of MSW’s Navy Word of the Day.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GlennCauley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Not to state the obvious, but isn't "Oscar" also refer to the letter O in the radio alphabet?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
Yes, you are correct in that as well.

That one slipped my mind while writing that this morning.

Thank you for adding that.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:29 AM UTC
I have a funny "Oscar" non-sea story to tell (landlubber Navy personnel can't tell TRUE sea stories

I am Medical Service Corps, at the time with a Fleet Hospital, in case of Mass Casualty Exercise (or reality) our job is to help extract victims and carry to the triage area. We were conducting such an exercise a few years ago, and i was picking up "Oscar" (the aforementioned dummy, who also happened to weight 60kg and be anatomically correct). As I hefted "him" onto my shoulders witih the firefighters carry method, his...er...manhood fell. The ubiquitous exercise "clipboard" officer, asked me "LT! What are you going to do about that?" I thought it was a joke... he was NOT joking and said: "Would you like YOUR manhood to be carried back with you to the triage stage or be left behind to be nibbled my squirrels"? And imagine the laughter as I carried Oscar into the triage area on my shoulders while holding his... thing on my free hand!
 _GOTOTOP