_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Community Build 1st Session Voting Full Build
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:54 PM UTC
The first build session of our "Community Build Contest" came to a close on June 30, 2008, and as per official contest rule, the first staff judging session took place in the following week.

I am pleased to now list each of the judges results and comments for the Full Build Category:

Frank Portela (clanky44)

1st (5pts) Nanond Nopparat

Cleaned and fixed a difficult hull with plastic and putty, could of documented build progress with more photos... hint, hint.

2nd (3pts) Barry Lesht

Scratch built components and added details. Five days worth of posts, took his time. Only negative was the slightly dark photos. Flood your model with additional lighting for greater quality.

3rd (1pt) Peter Fulgoney

Good deal of preperation and hand painting. Peter,... you build a ship in a polar opposite fashion of what I do, so it was difficult judging your entry.

Honourable Mentions (no points... sorry)

Guido Hopp (Good deal of cleaning resin, thankless job, but one that will be rewarded later on)

Dade W. Bell (Good deal of work with the photo-etch flight deck, but insufficient work to garner a top three spot)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark R. Smith (Gunny)

1st, Gold (5) Nanond NOPPARAT
CALLSIGN: Nanond

Good images, good progress of scratch hull supports, and new deck

2nd, Silver (3) peter fulgoney
CALLSIGN: peterf

Good references, nice, quality images, Good build progress/reporting

3rd, Bronze (1) Dade Bell
CALLSIGN: Karybdis

Good images, nice work/representation of early aftermarket additions

Note: Image Quality will make or break you in this contest, as this is the only outlet for you all to show us your progress...take and show us your best images for maximum representation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Adams (goldenpony)

1st, Nanond – 5 Points- I really liked what he has done thus far with the extra cross members and the scratch built flight deck.

2nd, Barry – 3 Points – He is taking a great kit and improving it, which is not an easy thing to do. Adding those small details that many other builders might over look.

3rd, Guido – 1 Point – He did a bunch of the dirty work that needs to be done and did a very good job getting things ready for the next step. Also has a good grouping of reference materials.

Overall there were some good quality photos and decent work done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rui Matos (skipper)

1st 5 points to Nanond's 1/700 IJN CV Zuikaku October 1944 fit

Although Nanond has gathered a lot of PE sets, he was not scared to go and use plastic card to scratchbuilt the flight deck.
Taking care of smaller details (corrected portholes placement), good planing (hull reinforcements).
Looking forward for his next installment

2nd 3 points to Barry Lesht's 1/350 USS Ellyson

Barry had looked for good references, he is correcting the model in accordance to them. Taking care with smaller details and it shows "creativity" on solving some of the challenges he has been facing.
I am a bit curious to see how he is going to fix the hull joint after fixing the lower part to the base.

3rd 1 point to Peter Fulgoney's 1/700 Georgios Averoff

Interesting subject, good references, interesting work scheme. Good progress too, on a high level of difficulty project

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenny Loup (Gator)

1st, 5 Points to Nanond
A nice bit of scratch building, especially the flight deck. I will be very interested in how he represents the wood planking.

2nd, 3 points to Barry
Good work in adding small details to an already detailed kit.

3rd, 1 point to Guido
While not a lot of build progress, he has done a tremendous amount of work in getting all the resin parts cleaned up along with correcting the details

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, mates, a great job done by one and all, and please continue on with your builds with the early enthusiasm shown in the first build session!!

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 07:46 AM UTC
Fantastic builds. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression in the builds, specially those that spent the first month cleaning resin parts!

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 06:13 PM UTC
Yep, this month was definitely Nanond and Barry's show. Good work, guys! I know that for me personally, it's gonna be a couple months before I really get moving (there's a 1/250 monster out there that needs finishing after all), so it's a pleasure watching everybody else in the meantime.
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Well done Nanond, and Bary and all the points scorers in this first round, and to those still to show, it's preparation that counts, and ,like me ,if most of it is in your head, then you have a strong staring position - good luck!

Peter F

DrDull
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 09:44 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Everyone did such fine work - its a lot of fun to follow these builds. It seems I learn something or get another idea of a new thing to try every time a new post is put up. I'm back from moving my daughter and should be back at work on my Ellyson model this weekend. As suggested, I got some of Kenny Loup's glue and am about to tackle the PE. Now if I could only get a bottle of 20-B deck blue! Barry
Nanond
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
Thank you for these kind comments. I'm expecting more of the great pojects to be brought up in the months to come. We still have 11 months more to go, right?

Currently, I'm building up those details I removed last month. Surely, building is far less easier than removing ( destruction, i would say). Nanond
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for these kind comments. I'm expecting more of the great pojects to be brought up in the months to come. We still have 11 months more to go, right?

That's correct, mate, and each month, we will have a judging session based on your progress for that particular session/month...

Quoted Text

Currently, I'm building up those details I removed last month. Surely, building is far less easier than removing ( destruction, i would say). Nanond

Looking forward to seeing your progress, Nanond!
~Gunny
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hi, folks!
Great work of all of you! Getting started does not have to be all that tedious as many have already proven. Keep on going! This is going to be fun! 11 more months to go!
Thank you for your apprecitation of my work and your visit to my blog!

I should like to ask from the voting staff:
- When issuing the vote put a hotlink to the rated blog so one can directly access the related work in progress and avoid skipping about.
- Finish off the voting by showing us the overall ranking with overall score and previous month's ranking position (or even showing a tabular ranking showing all months.)

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I should like to ask from the voting staff:
- When issuing the vote put a hotlink to the rated blog so one can directly access the related work in progress and avoid skipping about.
- Finish off the voting by showing us the overall ranking with overall score and previous month's ranking position (or even showing a tabular ranking showing all months.)

Hallo Guido

The first can be easily done
The second is also important and will be shown

Rui
 _GOTOTOP