_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Community Build 1st Session Voting "OOB"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:08 PM UTC
The first build session of our "Community Build Contest" came to a close on June 30, 2008, and as per official contest rule, the first staff judging session took place in the following week...

I am pleased to now list each of the judges results and comments for the "OOB" (Out of the Box) Category:

Frank Portela (clanky44)

1st James Martiney (5pts)

Kept good record of his build, took clear and focused photos.

2nd Bruce Miller (3pts)

Similar build quantity as James, but difficult to discern quality due to dark lighting and slightly blurry photos.

3rd Keith Richardson (1 pt)

Good start by sanding his flight deck of the raised details, but is relegated to third place by the limited amount of work this month.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark R. Smith (Gunny)

1st, Gold (5) James Martiney
CALLSIGN: JMartine

Good, clear images, good explanations of construction steps

2nd, Silver (3) Bruce Miller
CALLSIGN: grayghost666

Good build progress,although image quality should be improved.

3rd, Bronze (1) keith richardson
CALLSIGN: beefy66

Third by default only by less work progress than the previous entrants, good grasp of subject

Note: Image Quality will make or break you in this contest, as this is the only outlet for you all to show us your progress...take and show us your best images for maximum representation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Adams (goldenpony)

1st James – 5 Points – He did a good job on the hull and screw shafts. Nice to see his clear photos as well showing a good progression of his work.

2nd Keith – 3 Points – He has a big task removing those raised details on the flight deck then rescribing them. It looked as thought he did a good job removing them. I think most OOB people would have left those.

3rd Bruce – 1 point – I felt that some of the seams could have been better. Also need a little better lighting on the pictures

Rui Matos (skipper)

1st 5 points to James Martiney's 1/350 USS Kidd DDG-993

Good step by step progress, good photos, nice attention to small details. Good progress too

2nd 3 points to Bruce Miller's 1/350 USS San Francisco (1942 fit)

Bruce as James, has tackled his project with "fury", but has some poorer photos. This can be corrected, so that we can judge his work better.

3rd 1 point to Keith Richardson's 1/700 HMS Illustrious

Keith, although entering OOB class, has used the rules to make a better model by suppressing the raised detail on the flight deck. A good point, but more work need to be seen

Kenny Loup (Gator)

1st 5 points to James Martiney
Nice work overall and very good attention to detail

2nd 3 points to Bruce Miller
A lot of progress but poor photos would help with how well he is building the kit.

3rd 1 point to Keith Richardson
Having tackled the raised deck detail on one of these kits, his efforts are commendable. I just wish he could have had more progress.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, a fantastic first build session by our OOB builders, great job one and all, and please continue with your enthusiasm towards success in the second build session as well!

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Well done by all,... I'm looking forward to seeing this months progress.

Frank
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:05 PM UTC
hello all,
thanks for your constructive criticism,i am going to get Miss Mary to take this months photo's .i did try to make the photo's better,but i am not a good photographer,but i am learning.
@James what do you mean about the seams?
@Mark,Rui and Kenny photo's will get better.i am taking a class on photography at the local collage.
thanks again.
cheers,
Bruce
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
Thanks guy,s for the pointers,as this is a small kit and i have a year to complete I thought i would spread it out a little.Next month will show more of the build process Hopefully
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback!

Bruce - here is a list of all of my "photography" links (at the top the great tutorial by Frank Portella!)

https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/2156

http://www.italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Photo%20Booth/photobooth.htm

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/bgphoto/bgphoto.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/887778/ShowPost.aspx

I am no expert, but my pics improved once I installed a bench lamp (no glare bulb) with a flexible arm. I can then move the light close to the model, and change the angle of light incidence. I am planning on dedicating a corner of my work bench as a 'light box/photo area". Hope this helps a bit!
Cheers
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
hello James,
thanks for the links,they are a great help.i think i am going to get Miss Mary to take the photo's next.the photo class runs for 4 weeks and they show you how to take a lot of photo's in all light and places.so i will get better.
cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP