_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
PE glueing tip
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 06:21 AM UTC
I'd be surprised if I'm the first one to figure this one out, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere before, so I hope this is a partial payback for all the good advice I've picked up on this list!

When using CA (cyanoacrilic) glue, especially the extra thin stuff which has a nasty tendency to surge out of the tiniest applicator tip, especially when drawn out by capillary action, there will be a "spill" of it all over the area surrounding the desired spot. Ugh. But if you have a worn-out paint brush handy, or even a good one, just touch it to the spill area close to the glued item, and it will suck up the excess glue. A quick rinse of the brush in acetone will dissolve out the CA, and the acetone will evaporate pronto, leaving the brush pretty much as good as before, if not just fine.

Even with a normally tidy CA application, ladders and such can easily have their rungs or fine detail filled with CA. Touching the brush to those areas will sop up any visible excess and preserve max detail.

And thanx to the hero who first thought up the great one of abrading off the tip of a sewing needle to generate a "Y"-shaped tip which is perfect for applying precise small amounts of CA. A set of such needles in small, medium, and large sizes, held in a pin vise tool, works great. Even then, using the brush-sop trick has really moved my CA skill into a whole new realm.

Cheers.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
good tip thanks for sharing it.
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC
...and thank you for your reply. Are you a...giurrrl? Cute pic. What are you working on? Stephen
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC
love the tips! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP