_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Community Build 2nd Session Voting Full Build
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
The first build session of our "Community Build Contest" came to a close on July 31, 2008, and as per official contest rule, the first staff judging session took place in the following week.

I am pleased to now list each of the judges results and comments for the Full Build Category:

Mark R. Smith
CALLSIGN: Gunny
Managing Editor

Getting tougher, but on progress overall, here are my choices:

Gold (5) Peter Fulgoney
CALLSIGN: peterf

Major progress made on the kit build, nice camo enhancements, as well as ship base construction well under way.

Silver (3) Barry Lesht
CALLSIGN: DrDull

Great progress on lower hull construction and painting/camo scheme. Well done thus far!

Bronze (1) Guido Hopp
CALLSIGN: Tailor

Fabulous cleaning and dry fit of all parts, as well as tackling a major design flaw.

5 points to Nanond's 1/700 IJN CV Zuikaku October 1944 fit
Good scratchbuilt on the deck, good technique for scribing the planks, good attention to detail (elevators) and bridge, making this part of the model a full media construction.

3 poinst to Peter Fulgoney's 1/700 Georgios Averoff
Peter has mastered the painting of the camouflage pattern, included a tutorial on "How to make a sea scape", well documented.

1 point to Barry Lesht's 1/350 USS Ellyson
Tackled a major difficulty: the camouflage; also managed to put the hull together perfectly (from what we can see)

5 Points to Nanond Nopparat (Nanond)
Very imaginative solution to to scribing the deck planking. Nice fix on the elevators and good job on reconfiguring the island.

3 points to Peter Fulgoney (Peter F)
Nice work on painting of the camouflage and a very creative way to make water. Impressive solution to comparing details from original fitting to later configuration.

1 point to Guido Hopp (Tailor)
Great prep work on cleaning all the parts. Very nice solution for correcting a challenging hull problem, especially while on the road.

This one was hard, but I figured it out this month.

Dade-Gold (5) Great job on the PE deck, I do agree it is a shame it will be painted.

Peter-Silver (3) Wonderful job on the camo on the ship. Then work on the base and continued research for the future details.

Guido-Bronze (1) Another fine effort. Fixed a major flaw in the ship and made it much closer in the end.

Gold (5pts) to Guido for his very clean progress of his resin ship and clean solution to his kit flaw, well done Guido.

Silver (3pts) to Peter for his continuing progress, great level of detail and documentation.

Bronze (1pt) to Nanond for his work on the flight deck and the rebuild of the bridge, the lift looked bad, but it's nice of Nanond to document his problems as well as his achievements. Well done.

Honourable mentions go to Dade for his insane work with the underside girders... hope you display this model on a mirror! , well done Dade. and to Barry for his tight hand painted camo scheme, well done.

Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 03:03 AM UTC
Judges and competitors!
Thanks for another month of modelling and entertainment. Keep up the good work!

Excellent take, Peter!
I thought that Barry came out a bit short, but that's just my 2cents. These judges are hard to impress!

I hope next months there will be more overall input!
To the judges: Thanks for the leaderboard! Have it sorted after overall leading points and it will be perfect!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To the judges: Thanks for the leaderboard! Have it sorted after overall leading points and it will be perfect!

Now why didn't I do that? Your idea has been noted and will be done next month.

Thanks for the input!!

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:47 PM UTC
Excellent work again, everybody and congrats! Thanks for the nice words, Jim (and the vote! ) and Frank. This contest is really starting to cook!
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC
Very nice progress everyone, and keep up the momentum.

Well done as well to the leaders as it is difficult to "put on a show" when essentially you're trying to have fun building your favourite ship. I know that my work must be hard to assess because I don't stay and complete any one stage at any one time. I explain this as looking at massing and form and then focusing in more and more on detail, unfortunately the work will look as if its slowing down in the latter stages............I continue.

Peter F
DrDull
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Great work - everyone! Barry
 _GOTOTOP