_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS Healy DD-672
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
I had intended for this to be a part of the Forgotten Sisters Campaign, as the USS Healy is one of the 175 Fletcher Class Destroyers which were built and served during WW II. Things took just a bit longer than I'd hoped, but I finally finished everything (including the stand) yesterday.

The kit started out as the Tamiya Fletcher, which is an early war round bridge ship. I had decided to build a square bridge version, with the "emergency AA" refit which represents the final war design of this class, so naturally there was quite a bit of modification required.

I used the Tom's Model Works Fletcher Conversion kit to get the square bridge, along with quite a bit of scratch building. Alan Raven's "Fletcher Class Destroyers" and Lester Abbey's book of the same title were essential to provide photo references and drawings. The 5" turrets are the Corsair Armada with the late Steve Nutall's brass barrels. Quad and twin 40 mm are the L'Arsenal as well as their Mark 37 Gun director, twin 20mm, life rafts, 26' whale boat, and Mk 51 directors. The anchors and searchlights and torpedo tubes came from Yankee Modelworks. The PE is a combination of Tom's Modelworks and the Gold Medal Models sets.

The ship is depicted as she appeared at the end of the war. The USS Healy was present in Tokyo Bay along with the USS Missouri during the surrender ceremonies in 1945.

Additional photos are in my gallery.

The USS Healy was named after Commander Howard Raymond Healy, Damage Control Officer on board the USS Lexington, CV-2.

"During the Battle of the Coral Sea, Lexington took two torpedoes and two bomb hits 8 May 1942, and despite heroic damage control could not be saved. Commander Healy died on board and was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star for his courage, leadership, and professional excellence during the battle to save his ship. Commander Healy perished at his battle station."

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
BZ Tom, great build, mate!
I would really like to make an "On Display" feature of this one, my friend...would you do us the honors?
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
Thanks, Gunny! I'd be happy to. Just let me know what you need and I'll take care of it.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Gunny! I'd be happy to. Just let me know what you need and I'll take care of it.

GREAT Tom!
I could either use the images that you have already in your gallery if you're happy with them, or you can snap a new set (at least 15 for a good show) of images and send them to me...your call, mate...
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Let me take a couple of additional shots. Good thing about the close-ups, you notice things in the photo you don't see when looking at the model. I discovered that a couple of small items had fallen off and I've since replaced them.

Only problem I'm having is that I seem to be running out of space in my gallery. I went through and deleted a whole bunch of stuff yesterday, but it seems that I needed to take out about 4 pictures to add one.

I'll take some additional shots this afternoon, and let you know.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Very nice tincan Tom!

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP