_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
C Class Ships
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 01:48 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates,

Just got my October issue of Sea Classics magazine and was pleased to discover an article on the C Class cargo ships produced by the United States Maritime Commission requirements. I recently scored the old Revell kit of the Hawaiian Pilot, a box scale (1/380) C 3 Class ship and while the accompanying blurb in the instruction sheet was interesting it did little to fill in the blanks as it were.

Sea Classics has done a bit better with a little on the hows and whys of the Maritime Commission itself as well as gives a pretty fair rundown on the C class ships, -1, -2, and -3 including drawings of the basic appearance of each. There are a few pictures of different ships including the Hawaiian Pilot after its' collision with the Jacob Luckenbach, another C-3, also pictured. Also included is a definitions table with explainations of a few terms related to cargo ships in general. Pretty interesting reading about the Merchant Marines' contributions in ships during WWII.

I guess I will have to break out the old Revell kit and tinker on it after clearing the decks with the ORP Wicher and USS Baltimore. Anyone got any tips or ideas on dressing the old gal up?
 _GOTOTOP