_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
USS Astoria CA-34 1942
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC
Ahoy, maties,
Jay Massey (treadhead1952) gives us his thoughts and full "inbox" review report of Trumpeter Models new 1/700 scale, USS Astoria CA-34!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
bobcicconi
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Model Shipwrights: 156 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 12:56 AM UTC
Nice review! I'd like to see some of Jay's handiwork posted also! He does nice work, especially on some of the smaller IJN subjects that I've seen posted elsewhere!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 02:56 AM UTC
Indeed a very good review!
Good job Jay - now we want to see it built

Rui
pimpdogbert
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
I had a question could you make the Quincy out of this kit or is that another kit altogether?
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC
Thanks Guys,

Alex, if the Quincy is the one you want, pick up a USS San Francisco 1942 kit, while they are basically the same, the Astoria decal sheet covers the Astoria, New Orleans, Tuscaloosa and Minneapolis while the San Francisco sheet covers the San Francisco twice, '42 and '44, Vincennes and Quincy. So without resorting to any thing other than a few minor detail changes here and there, it is possible to build the entire seven ship New Orleans class between the two different kits.

Gee Rui, I have a couple of other things brewing already on the bench, have to wait a while, but I can assure you, when it comes time to work over this bad boy, it will get lots of coverage here. It is a pretty nice kit and with a little PE assistance and some possible kit bashing can be made into a pretty happening build.

Thanks for the mention Bob, I do like my IJN destroyers, they are lots of fun to tinker on.
 _GOTOTOP