Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Question about Revell/Monogram U-boat
conus00
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 07:50 AM UTC
I just recently bought Nichimo's IXC because I want to build U-505 shortly before she was captured. When I received the kit I found out that it is IXC without the extended wintergarden. I know that there is a IXC kit with the extended wintergarden made by Revell/Monogram (I believe the original Aurora kit) it is being sold at Chicago's Museum of Sience.
Does anybody here know about the quality of the above mentioned kit compared to Nichimo or will I be better off just modifying the Nichimo kit?

Also if anyone have scaled comparison pictures of IXC and Extended wintergarden IXC I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hi Libor

First I would like to Welcome you to MSW
Now to your question, and knowing the quality of Nichimo's U-boats versus Revell/Monogram U-505 U-boat, my advice is to modify the Nichimo conning tower to make the extended wintergarden.
Some evergreen sheet (plain and also the grooved one should do the trick)

If you need any help, just ask!

Cheers,
Rui
conus00
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hello Rui,
thanks for the welcome I guess I will stick with your advice unless I can get the Revell/Monogram somewhere for dirt cheap. If I do I will combine both kits into one.

Also, thanks for the offer of help. If you (or anybody) else here can direct me to the comparison pictures of IXC and Extended wintergarden IXC that would be great. Tried to search on the internet but nothing good so far.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Libor

Check your email
Cheers,
Rui
 _GOTOTOP