_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
JimB - Cold War Tin Cans - USS Fletcher DD992
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 02:02 PM UTC
Well, here she is at long last. Bet you though I forgot, didn't ya? Anyway, I wanted to post some WIP pictures of my USS Fletcher DD992. I'm using the Arii kit. I've got a long way to go, but I think she's taking shape. Replaced the molded on chains on the deck with metal chains, and am planning on using the Flagship Models photoetch set, and the JAG Collective Warning Circles set. This is my first 1/700 scale ship, and the first time using photoetch on a ship. Needless to say, I'm a little intimidated. This could turn out really nice, or be a total disaster. Time will tell.

Jim
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
hello Jim,
great start on your build.please keep us informed on your progress,as i know nothing about modern ships.
cheers,
Bruce
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
That makes two of us, Bruce! But I'm learning.

Jim
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
Ok, I know it's been a long time since I updated this build, bit I have managed to get a few things done on it. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures this week (I have the week off from work).

Since I last posted I've managed to get the railings on the masts, and the masts & top deck deckhouses(?) painted. They look alright. I have run into a bit of a problem: the AN/SPQ-9 (Spook-9) gun fire control radar is too big to fit over the railings!!! Either the radar dome is too bag, or the decks on the foremast are to close together, I'm not sure. So that's a novice error, but now I have to figure out how to get the radar on the mast without mangeling the railings. The obvious solution would be to take the railings off, add the radar, then replace the railings; but I don't have enough two-bar railing to replace the existing railing of it gets too mangled. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Ether way, I'll get some pics up this week.

Jim
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
Ok, I know I promissed you guys some pics of the Fletcher about a month ago, but I was distracted. Anyway, I've learned a lot on this build so far. Mostly what NOT to do. Like glue your fingers to the superstructure, super glue adhers instantly if the part is in the wrong location, paint the decks of the masts before adding the rails & radar, things like that.

Here you go. Still have a lot of work, and I'm hoping to make the January 31st deadline!

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 09:36 AM UTC
Looking very nice Jim. I feel you pain when it comes to superglue. That's why I created Gator's Grip Hobby Glue.

Kenny
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:07 PM UTC
Your glue is definately on my "to buy" list. That and a 1/700 MS 33/10a mask for my USS Ticonderoga (CV-14).
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
You know, in real life it looks pretty good. But in the close-ups (particularly the masts) it looks like crap. Lesson learned! Long way to go, and the next one will be better.

Jim
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:02 AM UTC
Just a quick update to let you know that all that remains to be done is touch-up the deck & hull where I added the photo-etch, add the decals, the mount the guns. (Oh, and finish painting the dinning room). I hope to have some pics either tomorrow or Monday.

Jim
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
She's finally done! Some days I didn't think I'd ever finish. I will admit that I learned a lot during this build. Mostly what not to do. (Like don't wait 10 yeast before starting a kit; the decals will not survive. Photoetch isn't the enemy, but it isn't exactly your friend either. Super glue will only adhear instantly if the part is in the wrong location or stuck to something it isn't supposed to be attached to: like your finger, the table, or a tool.) Is it perfect? No. Is it a contest winner? No, but it's mine and I'm happy with the results for my first ever 1/700 ship.

The base kit was from Arii; the photoetch from Flagship Models; the anchor chian from Builders in Scale; deck decals (warning circles & landing pad stripes), Fruit Salad & "E"s, and ASROC launcher from JAG Collective.

Here's the "look" I was going for. According to Navsource, this was taken in Vancouver, BC, Canada, in 1991:

Starbord side:

Superstructure:

Stern detail:

Port side:

Over head:

It was fun, but I'm glad it's over. Hope everyone enjoyd the pictures.

Jim
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC
I ment to add this yesterday, but I forgot. This is reported to be the last view of fletcher during her SINKEX.

Fletcher SINKEX

Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Jim,

Make sure to upload those to the campaign folder.

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC
Already done, except for "The Look" shot!

Jim
 _GOTOTOP