_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
IJN Akagi Triple Decker Carrier
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!

Join me for an in depth review Hasegawa Models IJN Akagi 1/700 Aircraft Carrier in her three deck configuration covering her first and second fit outs.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC
I picked this kit up at the IPMS Nationals (at a fantastic price, I might add!). I agree with what Jim said about the model. My only complaint, which Jim covered, was the way Hasegawa incorporated the lattice support structures into the hull. These cry out for PE, and will be darn near impossible to replace without hacking up the sides of the model. Guess the same could be said for the girders under the flight deck.

Other than those nit-picks, she's a beauty!

If this sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see a triple deck Kaga down the road.

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
Great review, Jim! Thanks to you and Frank for the in-box looks. I'm tempted to order one right now.

Martin, I agree completely about that deck underside. There are some rumblings that Lion Roar may come out with a complete swap-out with girders similar to what I'm using on the Hiryu... I guess it depends on how well the kit sells and how much people cry out for a PE set. I know the set for the original one-deck version costs about $80 due to it also containing resin. OTOH, the all PE Hiryu set was about $40.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

Excellent review, very thorough, very honest and I can say that I agree with all that you have said (time to build it included!)
Also liked the video

It appears that we have to stay tuned for the AM parts that, I am sure, will start to pop-up soon
BZ

Rui

PS: Still intend to build a dio with it and Hosho but.... don't know when!!!
oggy4u
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 05:38 AM UTC
Thank you for the indepth review of the Akagi Triple decker. I would love to have this kit. I , however, believe the A2N fighter is appropriate for this ship. The Nakajima A2N was introduced in 1932 ,not 1937 ,to the Japanese navy (according to Wickpedia). The Japanese are pretty fussy about such details. I think the Japanese Navy introduced the Claude fighter in 1937.
I love this website!

Oggie
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Alan,
You are correct about the date, 32 vs 37.

I looked high and low about the fighter. 95% of what I found said the A2N was not found on the Akagi. Only one site said anything about it being on the Akagi, but only in the A2N2 variant. The A2N2 had a 5 degree dihedral angle on its wings. Then I found sites that disagreed with the angle being on the top wing, the bottom wing, or both wings. Then my Janes all the World Aircraft claims only the A2N3 had angled wings.

The planes were made from 1932 to 1936 and saw service in the fleet during the 1937 fighting with China.

I will cover the aircraft more in depth when I review that AM set.

The AM sets for this kit will hopefully add just that much more. But to do it correctly like Dade said the whole deck needs to be a replacement. Too much surgery would be needed to clean off the bracing on the underside.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Great review Jim.

Kenny
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
Well Jim, what can I say, it's all your fault, a nice new shiny 3D Akagi now rests in the stash here at the Casa. Now I have to wait for one of the PE companies to get off their collective duffs and cough it up, if I can keep my grimy little mitts off of it, that is.
oggy4u
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
Jim, go to this website and scroll down to Nakajima A2N : Håkans Aviation page - Biplane Fighter Aces from the Second World WarThe aces, their aircraft

Regards, Alan
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Alan...PM in bound

But original kudo's go to Frank for his run down. Without his original work my job would have been harder.

Frank's Akagi Review

Stand by for part two coming to review pages near you!!

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Well written review, it is difficult to find fault with this release, and I hope that it's the first of many inter-war releases from our Japanese friends,.... I myself am hoping for the three decker Kaga. Just imagine the diorama possibilities along with the Hosho!

Frank
 _GOTOTOP