_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
CSS Nashville
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hey all,
My husband is getting ready to build his Nashville but we can't find information to tell us what color the iron plates were so I thought I would ask here if anyone can point us in the right direction or knows any details about this Ironclad and can help us out... Any and all information will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Kelly
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hey Kelly,

From my research, going with the color of an iron skillet will be best. The Confederacy used lard I believe to protect the iron plating.

Kenny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Kelly!

CSS Nashville, eh?...of course, we can only speculate of true colors, but this image of VP's version of the vessel can be used as a decent reference for basic colors of the ironclad...please let yer other half know that he's welcome to have a BLOG here to follow along in his build if he wishes to...
Cheers,
~Gunny

calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:57 AM UTC
Thanks gator that is the color we will go with a black brown. as for the blog he likes the idea but warns he is slower than molasses. and I can vouch for that. Especially being his first resin kit
I will get him to sign up for his own call sign and what not so look out for another Texan
Thanks,
Kelly
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
OK I did not see the pic. that is what we have on the box but I cannot find anything that shows this is the right color. all the drawings show a dark color not the grey (ghost grey). that is what is confusing us. I thought all were a dark color.
Kelly
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK I did not see the pic. that is what we have on the box but I cannot find anything that shows this is the right color. all the drawings show a dark color not the grey (ghost grey). that is what is confusing us. I thought all were a dark color.
Kelly

That's the problem Kelly...is it the correct color? Hard to say for sure! Steel is self colored, and can be a wide variation in color as to type, grade, formulation, and manufacturing process...but even if the steel was lighter in color, as the VP image shows, taking Gator's information into play, if you rub lard onto any steel, which is quite pourous in nature, it's going to darken up...so now, you're probably more confused than when you first asked the question!
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Me confused? Guess I'll take some lard and rub it on some steel and see what happens. Can you imagine how that must have smelled after awhile... Thanks for the help we will let Bill decided this one..
later,
Kelly
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hey Kelly,

I found this online. I hope it helps.

Quoted Text

What colors were the ironclads?

This varied widely. Southern ironclads had no overall consistent color scheme. The Charleston ironclads (Palmetto State, Chicora, Charleston, Columbia) were painted a pale blue, whereas the Savannah ironclads (Georgia, Atlanta, Savannah, and probably Milledgeville) were painted black. The James River Squadron ironclads seem to have been a sort of butternut or brown. All of these color schemes were quite likely the result of using whatever paint was available, rather than being planned. The unpainted Arkansas was a deep rusty red, due to its armor having been immersed in the Yazoo River for some time before mounting. (This was actually an asset, as it nearly matched the ruddy color of the Mississppi's banks, giving her some accidental camouflage.)

Union vessels frequently bore painted markings of various colors to identify individual ships of a given class. The "City" class ironclads bore painted rings on their chimneys, and the Passaic class monitors had their stacks and turrets painted different colors; in both cases, this was necessary, as the ships were identical and some method of distinguishing among them was needed. Though much different in appearance from any other ironclad, the Essex had her own rather flamboyant markings: a large S painted on one stack and an X on the other.

Contemporary accounts often mention Union ironclads as black in color. This is somewhat puzzling, as a look at photos seems to show them as being somewhat lighter in color than simple black. My own conjecture is that they were painted in a variety of shades of deep grey, and that the "black" in contemporary reports might have been an exaggeration. The standard "battleship grey" of the U.S. Navy was not introduced until years later.

Here's the link:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~jenkins/ironclads/qanda.htm

Kenny
RELEE1
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
I want to thank you for the information and web site will be handy. If I can return the favor you can ount on me,again thanks a lot.

_GOTOTOP