_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Related
Site related feedback, issues, or suggestions.
MSW's "MOD" Contest-what do YOU think?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:24 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates!
Introducing, the MSW "Model On Display" Contest, a chance to show off your work, and throw your entry into the hat for a grand prize!

This is one of my thoughts that I've kicked around for a long time, mates...we're all ship modelers here at MSW, some build ships exclusively, while some of us dabble into other modeling genres from time to time.

But basically, we ALL like to look at ship models, not only for admiration of one of our mates hard work, but for reference in a particular build, or a new tip or technique used that will help to take your build up to the next level of showmanship.

No matter if it's a simple stand alone full hull build, "out-of -the box", or a full blown scratch-build with multitudes of detail and accessories, multiple image galleries of ship models are a wonderful teaching tool...over the years, I personally have used many built models for reference, especially if you're concentrating on a subject that reference materials are few to non-existent.

So, what I would like to propose to our membership now is the opportunity to contribute to our reference gallery of "MOD" (model on display) features here at MSW, a chance to show off your work, BUT with a twist...

.....what am I talking about? Well mates, my mailbox is always open to modelers wishing to submit their builds for "MOD" features, but I would like to propose to our membership an idea of a contest, per se, much similar to our sister sites here at KitMaker.

I would like to ask you all now, of your thoughts and opinions of a similar contest to be held here at MSW, basically, you, as members, single out one of your builds, submit to us a small portfolio of images (15 to 20 individual images), various angle shots, close-ups, etc., of your chosen build...we would have a set time frame of submittal for these images (I'm guessing about 30 days would be sufficient), where then we would set up a voting gallery here at MSW, and then open the gallery up to all members of KitMaker to vote on the very best build display!

A seperate beginners and advanced class is a possibility, with this being the only restriction...scale, full hull/waterline builds, as well as diorama's would all be included in each class, as the idea is not to choose the best or most advanced build, but choosing the best display...and at the end of the voting period (which we can discuss and agree upon here), the best "MOD" in each class will be awarded a substantial prize for their efforts!

In addition to the prize give-aways, the winners will also have their individual builds spotlighted into a front page, banner "On Display" feature!

So what do you think, mates? Lets take the time now to talk about the idea! If the interest is there, then we'll make it a go!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
To be short and sweet, I like it.

My articulate self just can’t seem to come up with anything impressive to say about this, other than, Lets do it!

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
A great idea!

All we need now is SUBMISSIONS!

Rui
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Awesome idea!

Kenny
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Mark!

An excellent idea. Having only recently joined MSW, this would be a great opportunity to reveal works that aren't currently being built or saved for active campaigns.

--Karl

On the ways:
1:350 Nevada & Arizona

Fitting out:
1:350 SMS Kaiser

Sea trials:
1:350 SMS Kronprinz
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having only recently joined MSW, this would be a great opportunity to reveal works that aren't currently being built or saved for active campaigns.

--Karl

I would love that... many great modellers have joined the site lately, would love to see their work!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hmmmm, 51 reads and 5 replies...5 positive replies, although...c'mon, gentlemen, this is your chance to let us know if this contest is something that you would like to participate in and have here at MSW (don't be shy, we're all mates here )! Talk to me!!

~Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 04:26 PM UTC
I like the idea, but am cautious as to the frequency of the contest. If this is a one off with the purpose of outing hidden gems, then yes. If the intent is to have it being a monthly contest, my answer would be no. Ships take much longer to build than either aircraft or armour. The contests at Armorama and Aeroscale are successful due to the simpler nature of aircraft and armour builds.

With the above comments stated, if you choose to go ahead with the contest, PM me as I have some worthy kits collecting dust.

Frank
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the idea, but am cautious as to the frequency of the contest. If this is a one off with the purpose of outing hidden gems, then yes. If the intent is to have it being a monthly contest, my answer would be no. Ships take much longer to build than either aircraft or armour. The contests at Armorama and Aeroscale are successful due to the simpler nature of aircraft and armour builds.

With the above comments stated, if you choose to go ahead with the contest, PM me as I have some worthy kits collecting dust.

Frank

Hi Frank,
As far as frequency of the contest, as with the other guidelines, totally up in the air at this point...this could never be a monthly event, as you have stated, mate, as ship models are quite intensive for most modelers (and I admire those that can pump them out at an alarming rate! )....my thoughts would be a twice yearly event, with a major incentive put forth by us here at MSW for a chance of some substantial hobby rewards for our members, whether it be some valuable kits and aftermarket items, or gift certificates rewards, or a combination of both, as well as the opportunity to have their work in a spotlight feature.

In all fairness, a dual class would be instated to encourage both budding/intermediate modelers, as well as the advanced masters that we have here at MSW to compete in like categories...but this idea relies entirely on our members desire to have an event like this, as if there is no interest, than so be it, we will move on in our sojourn...but in the end, we would all benefit in the outcome by having a greater opportunity to view and talk about more ship models, techniques, and the like, which of course, is the driving force behind this idea...
~Gunny
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
hello all,
i think a twice yearly MOD would be right.this would give all of the members a chance to either build one for consideration or "dust off a built model".
i am a slow builder,so a twice yearly would be good for me.and it will let us think about what we want to build,how much detail to do,and when we want to have it done.if i miss the June MOD,then i can get it ready for the December MOD,i think if we do a MOD it should be every 6 months.
@Mark, Miss Mary and myself would like to put up some of the prizes,if the MOD gets off the ground.
just my 2 cents.
cheers,
Bruce
JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In all fairness, a dual class would be instated to encourage both budding/intermediate modelers, as well as the advanced masters that we have here at MSW to compete in like categories...

I like this part, gives me a chance!
Seriously, I think the two categories is a good idea as it will maybe nudge some lurkers into becoming active participants
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
The whole goal is to get people more involved. When I first dropped by I really lurked and said nothing. Then slowly I started to post and do more. Then Mark sucked me into a staff spot.

But seriously there are so many people who can share something and it can be hard showing off that first work with people. I know I was a little worried when I put up my first build in 15 years over on Armorama, but people really liked it and nobody trashed me. But it makes a person feel decent when their peers give them a BZ on a finished job.

Things just seem to be really slow at the moment, but we also have noticed a major increase in traffic. So, if we can get some lurkers to share and even some of the regulars to share it will be great.

So how about it!?!?

ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
I'm in for the contest idea. If it will be more that a one time deal, an annual(yearly) duration should give enough time for a ship modeller to build and finish one ship IMO.

Anthony
JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
Jim - I agree 100%... it IS a great site, very "newbie" friendly and not intimidating, which is a salient feature when you look at the number of master modelers who are regular posters. I would share more of my very amateur work but need to finish stuff first! : ) I will try to be more involved (postings, reviews, whatever) later this year/next year, once my crazy work situation stabilizes (or kills me!). Cheers!
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 01:20 PM UTC
Mark, if you need some prizes, just let me know.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, if you need some prizes, just let me know.

Thanks H, I know that I can count on you for your ever so unconditional support of MSW, my friend....what we need now is more of our members support of this concept before she even makes it off the drawing board...so far, a few out of many have voiced their opinion and support, but I'm going to need alot more of you out there to let me know how YOU feel about the idea....so how about it, mates?....don't be shy, we don't bite!

Cheers,
~Gunny
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
I.am with James on this one when asked about my e-boat I did not feel as though my modelling skills wre up to it but if their are different modelling skill categories then will give it a go
 _GOTOTOP