_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Related
Site related feedback, issues, or suggestions.
New campaign suggestion
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hello,

A few weeks back I submitted a suggested group build campaign, Shore Bombardment, for later next year but have not heard a verdict on the idea.

I ask now because I am getting questions about whether the campaign is on or not and I would like to inform everyone of the status.

Thanks!

--Karl
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

A few weeks back I submitted a suggested group build campaign, Shore Bombardment, for later next year but have not heard a verdict on the idea.

I ask now because I am getting questions about whether the campaign is on or not and I would like to inform everyone of the status.

Thanks!

--Karl

Hey Karl!

As of this writing, the campaign is still in the "proposed" standing...you need at leat 10 individual members (including yourself, mate, don't forget to enlist ) before it reaches the "Approved" state...the best way to get it approved is to make some noise in the forums about it and try to drum up interest, mate...the original announcement is HERE!

Cheers,
~Gunny
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 04:18 PM UTC
hello Karl,
i signed up.i am thinking about a landing craft with rocket launchers or a BB off of the coast,maybe the USS Missouri off of Kuwait.
cheers,
Bruce
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Bruce!

Those are excellent examples!

As for myself, I thought this would be a great opportunity for unusual gun platforms, like the Royal Navy's monitors, to show their stuff.

Since I specialize in "static pyrotechnics", this topic would be ideal for showing gun blasts!

Let's beat to quarters and help promote this campaign!

Thanks!

--Karl
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Gunny!

Great suggestions! I've started a new thread and we'll see where it goes.

As for the ribbon design, since computer art is not my forte, do you have any recommendations on how such an icon can be produced? Also, if I find a photo to help promote the campaign (like the wonderful Predreadnaught artwork), can I get assistance in inserting it onto the campaign page?

Thanks!

--Karl
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
Karl,
If you find a nice picture let me know. I can make up a banner. I did the Pre-dred one and a few over for the Armor folks.

The ribbons are a little harder since they are small.

If you need any help give me a shout.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny!

As for the ribbon design, since computer art is not my forte, do you have any recommendations on how such an icon can be produced? Also, if I find a photo to help promote the campaign (like the wonderful Predreadnaught artwork), can I get assistance in inserting it onto the campaign page?

Thanks!

--Karl

Sounds good, mate...we're here to guide and assist along the way, Karl...if you a general idea of what you would be looking for in a ribbon, let me know, and I can design a few to see what you think...and as Jim A. has stated, he can make a great banner for you as well if you need a hand...
~Gunny
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny!

Thanks!

--Karl

Sounds good, mate...we're here to guide and assist along the way, Karl...if you a general idea of what you would be looking for in a ribbon, let me know, and I can design a few to see what you think...and as Jim A. has stated, he can make a great banner for you as well if you need a hand...
~Gunny

Hey Jim and Gunny!

Kenny Loup's come up with a great banner for this campaign so we can use that.

As for the ribbon, if an icon with a sort of horizontal blast (even like a cloud puff wiht horizontal speed lines) can be incorporated, that would be different enough to stand out.

Thanks!

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I specialize in "static pyrotechnics", this topic would be ideal for showing gun blasts!

I tried my hand at that one time. Not as easy as one would expect.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I tried my hand at that one time. Not as easy as one would expect.

Hi Kenny!

Ahhh, a fellow Civil War naval enthusiast!

That picture's a good start actually. The secret is in luminosity--there is no substitute for glowing light and I have learned to incorporate lighting systems in dioramas that feature fireballs. Also, for 19th century cannon shots, I have been impressed with what Hollywood has done with replicating such effects in recent genre films.

For example, in Master and Commander and the climatic gunnery scenes in the last Pirates of the Caribbean film, the depiction of the smoke jet trailing the cannon ball that arcs away from the voluminous muzzle smoke is very suggestive and can be replicated in static miniature work.

Other pyro effects can also be simulated, like oil fires. Starting with my Pearl Harbor campaign contribution next month, titled "Steer 230", I'll depict the Nevada and a wrecked and burning Arizona.

Perhaps I could compile a how-to article next year (as soon as I get more such dio's completed) to show more of what I mean.

--Karl
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC
That would be great Karl.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP