_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Latest 1/350th Hasegawa release
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Hasegawa have called by the news desk and given us the details on their latest limited edition release.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
I can rest assured that Hasegawa will milk the pockets of the rich and harried customers with this limited resin release,... when they have made their fortune and opt to re-release it in plastic for a fraction of the price,...well,... that's when I'll purchase it,..... cross my fingers
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC
I hear ya' Frank, and rest assured, milk it they will.

All that aside, it still looks pretty cool with the humongous fantail mast. I wonder if Loren Perry will redo his PE set for the larger size along with a clothes line for it.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
A fascinating subject for 1:350...

On a more mainstream note, we'll have Myoko's and light cruisers to buy next year!

--Karl
Kapitanleutnant
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
Okay, let's pretend I'm from the United States, and I left my yen-to-dollar conversion chart at work. What does that break down to in dollars?
And to Hasegawa: I applaud you on making some extraordinary kits that are truly exciting. However, not all of us make millions of yen each day. Now, I may be going out on a limb here, but I think if you made LOTS of these kits, and made it more affordable for us average modellers...you just might make a profit. This bit of making a few awesome kits and selling them for the cost of your firstborn is ridiculous. I'm just saying....
Kapitanleutnant
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC
Case in point: The 1/350 Akagi. With all the PE and extra planes and wood deck, I'm going to have to sell a kidney, plus spend every other night selling my body on the street corner. I'm pretty ugly, so you do the math and figure out how long it's going to take me at .25 cents a pop to be able to buy the Akagi.
One of my dream ships becomes reality, but I have to be a Rockefeller to get it.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
About $280 give or take a little.

I really like this ship, but I won't get one fo the kits. It is too abd they are taking the limited ed route on this one.

Would be a great one to do in 350. I have been messing with the 700 scale kit and it is really nice.

Kapitanleutnant
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
That's ridiculous. Nice kit, but $250.00 will buy half of a RC Tamiya Jagdpanther...something I can go drive every day.
Mr. Hasegawa...take note. I just gave Mr. Tamiya my money.
johnb593
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:42 PM UTC
Too bad for sure. It's a neat looking ship and certainly a good looking model but...$250.00 or more? Forget it Hasegawa. I expect they will sell them all but just figure how many more they'd sell if they'd just do it as a "regular" kit. Hopefully they will release it again later in an all-plastic form at a price us "poor folks" can afford!
Johnb593
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hmm, I'm not adverse to getting this kit- the main thing is trying to hammer one down through my sources. (gears turning) Discretion is the better part of valor, but ever since I first saw the mock ups of this kit, I wanted one...
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC
In today's exchange rate, that's $430 Aust. Nice kit and a subject I would love to build, but for that price, they can keep their rip-off.
It's also around the same price as a resin battleship from YMW's or ISW.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Indeed a unique model... of a unique ship!
I have one (1/700 from Pitroad)
I am glad I am "stuck" in 1/700

Thanks for sharing, Sean!

Rui
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Too bad for sure. It's a neat looking ship and certainly a good looking model but...$250.00 or more? Forget it Hasegawa. I expect they will sell them all but just figure how many more they'd sell if they'd just do it as a "regular" kit. Hopefully they will release it again later in an all-plastic form at a price us "poor folks" can afford!
Johnb593

Since R&D is already done, maybe 500 x the price they are asking, will pay for the molds of a plastic version.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
I would have to agree with the concensus, some of these things are getting a tad bit on the ridiculous side as far as the costs of just putting our paws on a particular kit.

At the same time, consider Blue Jacket's new Arleigh Burke in 1/192 scale is going for $640 a pop. Yes, it does sport a laminated basswood hull, metal, resin and plastic parts as well as a finished length of 32 inches, but for that sort of money, I would rather break out the sheet styrene and spend some time on research to come up with a similar result.

I will stick with the small scale kit from Sky Wave and content myself with the odd scratchbuild to feed my need for larger scale offerings with this current trend.
BillyB
Visit this Community
United Arab Emirates
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Shipmates

Hasegawa have called by the news desk and given us the details on their latest limited edition release.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean

Does anyone know how this kit can actually be ordered? I visited the Hasegawa website but did not see a reference to it, or any mention on how an advance orders can be made. If known a link or instructions would be great. Many thanks.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
It has to be ordered direct and you have to live in Japan. Your best bet is to get a contact in Japan to order one for you and have it shipped to you (something I'm working on myself).
BillyB
Visit this Community
United Arab Emirates
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It has to be ordered direct and you have to live in Japan. Your best bet is to get a contact in Japan to order one for you and have it shipped to you (something I'm working on myself).

Dade, many thanks. Unfortunately I do not know anyone in Japan. Have we ever had anyone from there commenting on this forum that I perhaps could approach ? Otherwise, if there is a chance of ordering one through your contacts I'd be very interested, so long as it doesn't trouble or inconvenience you.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In today's exchange rate, that's $430 Aust. Nice kit and a subject I would love to build, but for that price, they can keep their rip-off.
It's also around the same price as a resin battleship from YMW's or ISW.

Hi Kym!

You've got a good point there. As a scratchbuilder, I've found it a trade off: lay out the cash and get a straightforward build, or save the money and invest many more hours making everything by hand. For example, in a recent campaign, I opted to scratchbuild a 1:350 Nevada (with parts and PE pirated from the Arizona kit ) rather than sink c.400 bucks on a resin kit.

With the renaissance in 1:350 modeling, I'm left to choose between which subjects rate an expensive kit purchase and which are best left to sheet styrene and balsa. A pricey fleet carrier? Yes. A very pricey seaplane tender? Not really.

Still, it's a great time to be a plastic model shipwright...

--Karl
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dade, many thanks. Unfortunately I do not know anyone in Japan. Have we ever had anyone from there commenting on this forum that I perhaps could approach ? Otherwise, if there is a chance of ordering one through your contacts I'd be very interested, so long as it doesn't trouble or inconvenience you.

Hi Bill!

If I was more sure of the outcome of this endeavor, I would see if we could order one or two more, but since so much of this ordering process is up in the air, I can't give you an honest answer yet- I'm not even sure if I'm gonna be able to get one hammered down... Stay tuned, and if I find out something more, I'll PM you.
 _GOTOTOP